CA18DET or SR20DET

Ecotec

while there's a thread up about it, should i do a KA or VG30? a friend is swapping out his KAfor an SR in his s14, and i could get KA + trans + everything else he takes out for about 350-400. which one is more worth it? which one will make more power and torque?

that is an infinitely impossible question to answer. They are both great candidates and they both have tons of potential.

where is the VG30 coming from?

what is your comfort level with swaps?

how much do you want to spend?

have you driven in a 510 with either engine?

I ask the last one because I almost went straight for KA-T in my 510, Im glad I paused to just enjoy her as a driving KA-510. The power it puts out is great and as a DD its perfect. Almost "too much" power for me to drive on a daily basis (as if thats possible right :D)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know where the VG would come from, i'd have to find one.

I have never done an engine swap, but have friends that have and a grandfather who used to build racecars, so i'm sure it would be easy enough to do.

I'd love to do the entire swap for under a grand if that's possible, but if it's not, i wouldn't be averse to spending more to get it done.

I have never driven in a 510 with either.

I'd like to do an SR20DET swap for the power, but I really don't think I can afford it. as I said before, 250WHP would be a very nice number for me, do you think i could at least break the 200 mark in the KA without spending a boatload?

Thanks, I try to keep my pimp hand strong.fj-26.jpg?t=1244760855

is this your car? if it is then it's double pimp status. i love how all you have to do is lift up the hood and you are automatically in a small percentage of elite car guys. no need for fuel injection non sense or a turbo, just a pure bread fj with carbs and a header.

if i had some money, this would have been the engine in my b210, i will settle with my ca18det for now.

I have never done an engine swap, but have friends that have and a grandfather who used to build racecars, so i'm sure it would be easy enough to do.

Famous last words: "I'm sure it would be easy enough to do"

I have never driven in a 510 with either.

... as I said before, 250WHP would be a very nice number for me, do you think i could at least break the 200 mark in the KA without spending a boatload?

If you picked this number out of the air, take a ride in a 510 with a mild KA in it and see how truly insane that is. I think you will be impressed. I would start with a KA swap. It's not too technical a swap, is well documented, lots of after market support, easy enough to turbo later.

yes, i picked that number out of the air.

this is sad, but the fastest car i've driven was an acura tl type s. i said 250 because it sounds like not too high of a number and i'd definitely have to blow that tl out of the water to be really happy.

I'll probably do the KA, the only con being that i have to wait until winter.

how much would a KA swap cost, not including the engine? assuming i do the install and all the labor basically. i'm thinking about a grand, with the crossmember and the wiring harness being the only expensive parts.

Dude, 200 even is a LOT for a car this light. When you start to get too much HP in a car like this, most of the top end power is useless about 90% of the time anyways. Only good for drag runs. Gotta figure even at 200hp, that's already over twice what came in the car. Even with a relatively stock VG30, it's very rare that I use the power it has.

well, i'd also like a good cruise car, because i'll be going on cruises with a 240 club and likely a few scion guys, all of who cruise at about 90 alot of the time. i don't want to be the one stuck behind, so i would like some top end and a motor that can handle high-ish rpm's for more than a minute or so.

this video made me just want a vg30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1bZf07ff2I

how much would a KA swap cost, not including the engine? assuming i do the install and all the labor basically. i'm thinking about a grand, with the crossmember and the wiring harness being the only expensive parts.

Research, research, research! I believe that you flip the cross member and run it backwards for the KA. There are a few tricks that can save time and effort, coin too. As I said the KA swap is well documented so find someone who has done it. Things to address are the motor mounts. The oil pan, if using a truck KA motor. Custom tranny mount and shortening the drive shaft.

Do some research, grasshopper, and find out why you should not use the KA truck EFI/ECU harness. And why you should use an ECU from an automatic KA.

SR is way out of my price range. especially when i could get a KA and tranny, and ALL of the wiring and everything for 1000-1600 less than i could get an ecu-less wiring-less SR for. believe me, if i could afford it, i would go built SR in a heartbeat.

right now my options are VG30 or KA24.

Look in the How To section for: How to wire a ka sr ca into anything

Use the search function, type in: 'KA swap into 510' or how to swap a ...' or, well you get the idea. Mix the words up and keep trying. Get a book and wright down things and questions that need answers. Remember there are usually several ways to do a thing. The more you know the less chance you will ask a question that shows that you didn't try to find out by yourself. Don't give up and keep trying. Get a note book and wright stuff down!

To get you started:

http://www.the510realm.com/search.php?keywords=KA24E+swap+into+510&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Edited by datzenmike

haha, no. too much work and money for too little power and an engine that i really don't trust.

I did look at the wiring thread, unfortunately i need to learn ALOT about electrics before i tackle that on my own. everything else, i'm sure i can figure out. wish me luck!

oh yeah, that VG in the video i posted, that wasn't stock, was it?