KM guage please explain

Steroid

Ok, I just looked at all of My trucks and at all of My removed dashes. I own two dashes (one in the Mexican fourdoor) with MPH outside in white and KM/H in blue inside the "graph" line. All of My other guages have only MPH in white. My questions are...........

1. Are both of these considered KM/H guages or "dual country" guages?

2. Is a foreign guage ONLY showing KM/H?

3. On both of these guages that I have described, did it run up in milage or kilometers? The one guage (in the fourdoor) is 96963.1 I am doubting that My fourdoor was driven almost 100,000 miles without it being spotted years ago by somebody, but maybe it was. The shape that it is still in makes Me think that the "mileage" in it's lifetime is nowhere near 100,000 miles.

Your thoughts?????

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

US trucks up to 07 '77 used the single MPH gauges. It was then changed to a dual gauge with large MPH on the outside and smaller KPH on the inside.

Canadian trucks were MPH only until 07 '75. From 08 '75 to 07 '77 they were dual with large MPH on the outside and smaller KPH on the inside. From 08 '77 on the Canadian were dual but with large KPH outside and smaller MPH inside.

Sorry I have no info on Mexico.

Thank You guys for Your answers!

So in reality there WERE three different types of 620 guages.

My two are like the "1979" guage in the photo second down. I still have not opened up the packaging on My RHD dash but I am assuming that it is KM/H like the first photo. I am also assuming that the guage displays on what is marked in larger letters in the lower center and also the OUTSIDE rating in speed and "milage", correct? Naturally the KM/H guage would only be in kilometers. It is marked as such in the lower center of the guage.

Now, in most 620s found at Canadian wrecking yards, would the guages mostly be KM/H?

Why haven't We seen Canadian guages on either here or ebay for sale? How rare are they now? Are 521 and 720 guages in Canada like that also?

Thanks again, Mike

So in reality there WERE three different types of 620 guages.

My two are like the "1979" guage in the photo second down. I still have not opened up the packaging on My RHD dash but I am assuming that it is KM/H like the first photo. I am also assuming that the guage displays on what is marked in larger letters in the lower center and also the OUTSIDE rating in speed and "milage", correct? Naturally the KM/H guage would only be in kilometers. It is marked as such in the lower center of the guage.

I think there were only MPH, MPH/kph and KPH/mph. I have never seen a KPH only gauge always KPH/mph.

Now, in most 620s found at Canadian wrecking yards, would the guages mostly be KM/H?

Canadian trucks were MPH only until 07 '75. From 08 '75 to 07 '77 they were dual with large MPH on the outside and smaller kph on the inside. From 08 '77 on the Canadian were dual but with large KPH outside and smaller mph inside.

Starting in '78 they were KPH/mph

Why haven't We seen Canadian guages on either here or ebay for sale? How rare are they now? Are 521 and 720 guages in Canada like that also?

Thanks again, Mike

Canadian metrification was in the mid '70s. 521 and all 620 trucks till '76 were MPH only. In '76 the smaller kph were inside the larger MPH untill '78 wher they were switched.

I did have a MPH only speedo but may have thrown out. I do have a '75 dash somewhere but it would be MPH/kph so no different than the US. I'll take a look tonight. I did strip a '78 a few years ago and may have kept the dash. It would be KPH/mph.

The reason for 2 different part numbers for Automatic and Manual is the Manual Transmission speedometer has a kickdown switch in it. The automatic one doesn't.

There were KMH only speedometers, but not in North America. Japan, Asia, etc. British ones use MPH though- even though GB has gone "metric" their roads and speed limits are still marked in Miles.

The odometer in a KMH-only unit woudl read in Kilometers. I would assume an odometer on a speedo that uses KMH as it's major reading (the large numbers, not the small) would read in Kilometers, but I'm not sure. If the speedometer has Miles as the major marking. the odometer is in miles.