411 Project: Bluebird Blasphemy

aeroc

She's not pretty, but not bad for being saved from the junkyard. I've had this car for around 7-8 years, I got it for free when I bought a 510. The owner had seen it go into a pick-n-pull apparently in running condition and decided to buy it. A lot of parts went missing and there was some random vandalism, but I figure there's enough of it left to make something decent.

It's an SSS, automatic. The R16 head was pulled in the junkyard and a lot of the engine parts were missing, so I decided that the R16 wasn't worth restoring.

100t.jpg

101t.jpg

As for it being a project, the plan is to make it a budget build. I picked up a Toyota 20V 4AGE (hence the blasphemy in the title) for $350. I'll update the thread as work progresses.

102t.jpg

103t.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fisch, your 411 wagon drawing is inspiring. It's my desktop background picture, it helps keep me motivated to continue the project. I've had this car sitting for so long, we're in the process of closing our shop and I was considering selling the car for $100. I was doubtful that anyone would buy it and was worried that I'd be forced to junk it. Nevertheless, I'm now committed to putting it back on the street. This is a great little community.

What side does the exhaust come off that engine? What about the sump? how does it line up with the crossmember, it would be awesome if it fits, i know of a ca18t conversion happening in BC into a 411sss and doesn't sound easy at all. I say if it fits use it. Rory

The exhaust side is the same, the sump is front and apparently there are no mid or rear options so the crossmember is going to get modified. I'm also going to have to cut part of the firewall for the distributor and thermostat housing on the back of the engine, they stick out too far. It's a good thing the heater core was taken before I got the car, if it were still there I'd feel bad about cutting the firewall.

The nice thing is that the Toyota T50 transmission is smaller than the factory auto transmission.

before you hack the firewall, try to get the engine a little further forward, you will obviously have to do "some" modification for the distributor, but you may be able to get away with "massaging" it a little like the rolla guys. Good choice in motor... I seriously considered one for a past 510... but the 20v's usually are way more expensive than a KA. You may also consider taking some measurements of the axle compared to a ae86, since they come, solid axle/disc brake/LSD/4x114 lug pattern.