New to the site

Yea, the gauge kinna just works whenever it feels like. I'm pretty sure it's just the sending unit is crap because the connections are nice and clean. I really hope its not the volt reg/temp compensation module cause I dont feel like taking the dash apart right now.....although it kinna looks like I will have to anyways to cleanup the wiring.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I just thought of something.

You could find a bad harness from a 510 or 521 and cut the VR engine side connector 5-10inches so you have enought wire length. then just put some male connetor ends on there. Shrink tube each connection and then that connector will go in the VR. and will look stock after you tape it up with electricle tape.

then you dont need to get the stock Jap crimp contacks and crimper

as for the TEMP sender sometimes its EZer to swap another lower housing from the head if you have those gaskets around.

trying to pull the sender using that 16mm Hex nut will break the housing.If its been there 30years Believe me!!!!!!

best to find some used spare 510 housing as there are ones with a Bypass(heater line) and some not.

L18/L20 ones have even more sender option holes as the years progressed.

I have bought both 510 spare housings and extra Hex nut to hold a brass Temp Sender in..

A few years ago I have a bad sender. So I finally tried to take it out. Best to leave it on the head screwed IN. try to break it loose and only broke. Putting it in a vice would not have helped.

But Lucky I have a spare New lower housing Hex and sender and worked fine after that.

I like the 510 housing with No heater line output so if one goes to sidedrafts carbs its a cleaner set up and dont have to plug up the holes.

The sender has been out before, matter of fact it had none when I first got the car, so I put one in that I had laying around. I think the solution is to just install an electric type temp gauge, it had a mechanical one that didn't work for whatever reason.

Any time you need an extra set of hand drew... you know I'm there. If you decide to pull out the dash... well, thats gonna suck since the cage is in the way! but I'm with you bro. :thumbup: