My 510's new paint

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

So yesterday I started working on the car again. I had to de-shave the door handles. Over the years (8) I got sick and tired of locking keys in the car, and not having the simple ability to just use a regular stinkin handle.

100_101225.jpg

I also finally got the undersides of the hood, doors, and trunk lid all painted. Maybe later this week I'll be able to shoot the tops. Then it's almost time for re-assembly.

100_101525.jpg

Guest DatsuNoob

Wow! Looks great! What kinda setup did you use for spraying? Traditional sprayer or HVLP? PSI? I've had painting on the brain since it's almost time for me to head down that road, and trying to soak up as much info as possible on the subject. Someone should do a "how-to" writeup on it for the backyard ratsuneer. Again, great job!

My advice would be...........don't do it. It's been a HUGE pita to get things right.

I've spent the last 4 days spraying, sanding, spraying, sanding......because no matter what I do I can't get rid of the Fisheyes. I end up wasting expensive paint in the process.

If I was to do it again, I'd do all the bodywork myself, and then pay someone to do the paint.

My advice would be...........don't do it. It's been a HUGE pita to get things right.

I've spent the last 4 days spraying, sanding, spraying, sanding......because no matter what I do I can't get rid of the Fisheyes. I end up wasting expensive paint in the process.

If I was to do it again, I'd do all the bodywork myself, and then pay someone to do the paint.

Ahh never knew what a fisheye was... searched for it and thats what i have on my trunk around the key hole. Lol yeah they are lame.

Guest DatsuNoob

Arent they caused from oil/grease/residues trying to surface in the paint? It's still a very nice job, and I've been thinking about getting a Harbor freight HVLP for a while since I saw the kit for like $120 or something. This just seals the deal, I'm going to get one next weekend after payday.

Yep, fisheyes are caused by any type of oil, silicone, or other contaminant that has come in contact with the surface. This can be from fingerprints as well, so wear rubber gloves to help avoid this.

I have this gun:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43430

Works very well, used it on a few cars now. Very little overspray, and i did it in my garage. The HVLP guns work very differently than standard siphon feed guns, and don't waste nearly as much paint as overspray.

As an update, I have figured out what was causing the fisheyes........The new type low VOC cleaners. THEY SUCK! they're water based, and not chemical based, so they do not evaporate and end up leaving residue on the surface. I used normal $2 paint thinner to clean the surfaces again, and things look WAY better now. So, don't waste your time/money on "professional" cleaners, they will ruin your paint.

Looks good! That's a seriously louvered hood! Also thanks for all the info on your paint setup too. I've always wanted to try it for fun on a beater like my dime or one of my scouts. Something a little more high tech/better looking than spray paint.

• 4 months later...

Great work!

I painted the Bronze in my garage - but here on the coast in the Pacific NW, we have bugs! Lots of 'em - and they love fresh paint! You'd think the wonderful chemicals would kill ‘em - but nope, they survive long enough to land on your paint. I have a few, bugs that is -each under a different coat of either etching primer, primer, high build filler, base coat or the clear... So, the trick is not to out trick yourself. The more stages of paint, the more coats you apply, the more chance of more bugs landing in it! :mad: My car turned out good enough for me, but yours definitely shines better!

Great to see guys doing it all themselves. My car is a complete home job, fabrication, machine work - even every part of the suspension is made on manual machines by myself and of course the bodywork and paint which I detested! It's a good way to feel proud of your machine in the end, though. You can proudly say you did it all!

Keep on keeping us posted.

Nice hood BTW!

DSCN0301_Medium_.JPG

Byron

Edited by Byron510