71 datsun 510 widebody, or how I learned to love the bomb

take some photos of the alternator!!!!!!!

There is not much to this system!!!!!!!!

its has a volt reg on the side?????

You just cant be swapping in a 240sx alternator and think its going to work.

Those a IR type and needs the jumpers put in to make those work.

give us a clue whats wrong than just saying it needs a alternator!!!!!!!!

here ya go.

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

thanks for your help.

It has no markings or numbers on it anywhere.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

update!

So I started on the bodywork.

Fuck you PO!

that guy loved rivets, bondo and bolts.

anyone know a good shop that can repair my fenders? I dont like fiberglass work.

so. The damage.

100_1229.jpg

not good.

100_1230.jpg

lets look behind and see .......rivets to nowhere and bolts and extra holes...ugly

100_1227.jpg

100_1228.jpg

lets yank that off and see what we are working with.... oh...fuck my life

100_1232.jpg

100_1233.jpg

other side...not so bad, no foam.

100_1234.jpg

other than the ghetto fender clearancing....and cancer.

100_1235.jpg

and bonus! how not to shave door handles!!

100_1231-1.jpg

but not all is lost. I have started with the rust removal and making patch panels.

urethane foam under flares :lol: Body work just isnt for some...

Im crying when im reading some car audio forums when they put urethane foam everywhere to make their cars body stiffer for better sound. Well just dont come whining when your new honda is rusting. Well maybe its a bit different in california or somewhere like that than in wet Finland but still...

Dooood, did this car come from the Phoenix Arizona area? I have a pic at a car show years ago of a bunch of Datsun's, and there's one in the pic that looks exactly like your green box flared job. Plus the Scottsdale plate frame makes me think it was.

Anywho, I also have a box flared car, and the same thing happened to mine, with the rot around the flare edges. Had to pull mine off too. Still working on re-doing the body. I have new flares, but they will be bolted on this time. Don't want to deal with the rust/cracking again in the future.

I got my replacements from Wings West, who has them made by a guy at N&J Fiberglass in Newport Beach, CA. FutoFab makes the full length ones, but they are $550 for EACH side, they are pretty though. If you need any help, lemme know.

Dooood, did this car come from the Phoenix Arizona area? I have a pic at a car show years ago of a bunch of Datsun's, and there's one in the pic that looks exactly like your green box flared job. Plus the Scottsdale plate frame makes me think it was.

Anywho, I also have a box flared car, and the same thing happened to mine, with the rot around the flare edges. Had to pull mine off too. Still working on re-doing the body. I have new flares, but they will be bolted on this time. Don't want to deal with the rust/cracking again in the future.

I got my replacements from Wings West, who has them made by a guy at N&J Fiberglass in Newport Beach, CA. FutoFab makes the full length ones, but they are $550 for EACH side, they are pretty though. If you need any help, lemme know.

yeah it did!! I would love to see pictures of it in prime form.

Im not going to mold the over fenders back on, I am looking around to see if I can find someone who can repair the ones I have, perhaps lengthen them. Then they will be riveted back on with rubber trim like hainz said.

Has anyone had fiberglass work done around here? recomendations for a body shop?

how much?

I have been thinking of using dzus fasteners on everything so I can yank it off if need be at the track

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bakerprecision.com/images/dzus.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bakerprecision.com/dzus.htm&usg=__4Cq7ToC9J2c0vHmQ5YddL7iWkkA=&h=323&w=449&sz=48&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=2E9362dI_oQ3aM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddzus%2Bfasteners%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

I dont think I can afford the beautiful full fenders as rough as I am on my cars.

edit: how much did your new box flares cost you?

I was originally going to use the Dzus type fasteners, but they are ugly. I found these at a mom&pop shop in Springfield Ill when I was there for work. It was a 3/4 midget and dirt track car place. The washers were only like $1 each, plus about $1 for each bevelled stainless hex head screw. There was a Bronco at Canby with the same type of fastener, but in plastic, they had "AutoFab" stamped in them. I've seen them on other off road racing trucks to hold the body panels on. Racing carts have them as well, but also made of plastic.

I got the 4 fenders and matching air dam for $400, this was about 4 years ago.

FutoFab also makes the traditional box flares like you have, $340/ea side. Add $100 for the gas fill opening and lid on the right panel.

http://www.futofab.com

Look under the rear fender/flare tab on the left column for all the rear flares offered.

yeah I saw that. ouch ouch ouch. going to see what it will cost of have these repaired first. for that kind of money I think I would just go with the full ones.

EDIT: wings west has them for 230$ a set!!!

Edited by fat-dime