A/C into a 411 - Experts needed!

OK, I'll make this simple:

Can it be done, and what's the best route to take?

I read some of Stephen's posts about 521 A/C units, and I know my 72 S30 and 69 510 both came with A/C...

I'm prepared to fab, modify and re-engineer as needed, but wanted some guidance and brainstorming from the real pros before I go off on a goose chase. :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I get to the point of adding A/C, I'll use one of the small under dash evaporator setups from one of the street rod A/C companies - Vintage Air and the like. It's rather simple. You have to mount the compressor, dryer and condenser under the hood. Mount the evaporator in the car. Run lines and wire it up. It will probably be a custom thing all the way. The under dash setups work nice.

Problems I can forsee:

There is very little room between the fan and the radiator to add a two row pulley to drive the compressor without getting very intimate with the radiator core, and I don't know where you could get one. A Ford or Chevy V8 double row [or triple row] pulleymight be shimmed and the bolt holes slotted to align.

There is very little room between the radiator and the grill to fit a condenser.

The J13 in the PL411 is probably underpowered for the compressor when it kicks in.

The 1600 type R engine in the RL411 has the power but already taxes the cooling system. Adding the thermal load of the AC condenser might overtax the radiator.

You would have to mount the compressor on the distributor side of the engine and relocate the alternator.

Not impossible, but realize that you are biting off a big task, and good luck!

OK, I'll make this simple:

Can it be done, and what's the best route to take?

I read some of Stephen's posts about 521 A/C units, and I know my 72 S30 and 69 510 both came with A/C...

I'm prepared to fab, modify and re-engineer as needed, but wanted some guidance and brainstorming from the real pros before I go off on a goose chase. :)

There was one for sale out of a 411

I think it was a dealer option

let me dig up my emails

Have you look into Vintage air?

I was thinking Vintage Air.

I'm already converting her to an e-fan (as I'm doing with all my classics). Hidden inside a shroud, it'll look stock.

That frees up the pulley somewhat.

The compressor has room if I get creative. Condenser may have to be mounted creatively also.

Keep the ideas coming guys - I am serious about this, as I love driving this car!

Well my '80 210 has AC on it. The compressor is mounted on the left side of the engine, but i think it is an aftermarket unit. The under dash bits look to be stock as does the condenser. You've got to make sure you've got enough engine power to run the compressor, i know my 210 almost doesn't. When taking off from a stop light or anything like that ive got to switch off the compressor, or its a really slow go. Ill get some pictures of the set up tomorrow.

Hey Mark!!!

Since they were all dealer add-ons, just as with the early Z's, it doesn't surprise me that there's a lot of differences.

I may just try to adapt a system from a newer Datsun, but seems to me like it won't matter WHAt car I use as a donor, as A/C parts are all pretty universal... right?