job not done.

chato

So I picked up my second dime, a 71 that this kid had his uncle change the timing chain tensioners and oil pump. Well the Uncle took everything apart and only put back half of it. He did do the hardest part but I want to figure out the rest with out the box of bolts that/pieces I didn't get. There is also a box of nuts and bolts I was promised to get once he gets it out of storage but it has been a few weeks and I'm getting desperate to get this car running. I know almost everything is there but the distributor is missing a piece at the bottom (it goes into the engine) and I want to know if I can get it from another car. Anyways here is how it looks: (I have the valve cover and radiator just not the bolts, and it is a L20)

toyo004.jpg

toyo003.jpg

Edited by chato
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damnit!! Why cant I find a pair of dual sidedrafts!!??

Car looks good BTW.

Thanks! yeah car is alright, needs some bodywork but I just wanted a driver since I got desperate because my the 510 I got in January is getting a VG30 (car under the tarp).

dizzy001.jpg

And going back to my problem, So its not part of the dizzy but there is still something missing. Here is where the Dizzy goes into and there is nothing there to "connect" (like a flat head screw driver) to the bottom of the dizzy. I have always seen there is like a long rod with a type of sprocket at the bottom, this car has nothing. I spent 1/2 a day cleaning the car looking for that part and the PO must have put it in the "box of nuts and bolts" :mad: thanks for the help so far

dizzy003.jpg

dizzy002.jpg

Here's an assortment of L and Z drive spindles. The one on the far right is from either a KA or a Z24i.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/motoroildistdrivespindles.jpg[/img]"]motoroildistdrivespindles.jpg

Just drop the oil pump and install. Be sure you are at TDC compression and the distributor end should look like this when installed correctly:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/motorZseriesdistallignmentLarge.jpg[/img]"]motorZseriesdistallignmentLarge.jpg

Edited by datzenmike

so the spindle from any L engine should fit? My dad had his 521 with the L16 in the garage and rarely moves it, I can borrow the spindle until I get the parts from the PO. Or I have also have seen a few 240Z at the yard

EDIT: Sorry guys and It is actually a L18, I don't know how I came to the conclusion that it was an L20

Edited by chato
Were do you live? I think I might have one. What are you going to do with that l18 510 after your finished with your vg swap? I'm interested!

I'm in Nor cal, San Jose to be exact. HAHA you guessed it!! I plan on selling the L18 dime once I finish my swap, You'll be first in line :thumbup:

Probably. I can't remember what that long one is out of. The short ones are likely from Z20/22/24 motors. I'll try to look to-day and see. L16/18 and 20B 'should' be the same. I think the Z dizzys are longer so they use a shorter drive.

does any one have a oil pump spindle (part MIA) that might want to get rid of? still no word from PO, no cars at the yards, no answer from peeps in CL that are parting their L engines.. and no damn parts store can get a hold of it

i should have one in the random parts bins.

there is a swapmeet planned for the 16th in lathrop this month.

I know but I work Saturdays, and if I did make it depending on how late I got off work I wanted to get there on the datsun instead of my motorcycle

I was at the Newark pick-n-pull There were a few pickups there with L's and I thought I saw a classic Z or a 280zx there too. Nearly all of those will have it and they may not charge you for it. I bet the two pick-n-pulls in San Jose have some too. I should be going this weekend I'm looking wheels. If you still need it let me know. I will pull one for you.

-Avery

I was at the Newark pick-n-pull There were a few pickups there with L's and I thought I saw a classic Z or a 280zx there too. Nearly all of those will have it and they may not charge you for it. I bet the two pick-n-pulls in San Jose have some too. I should be going this weekend I'm looking wheels. If you still need it let me know. I will pull one for you.

-Avery

mmh I went to both the pick and pulls here in San Jose and there is nothing. I'm going to try the pick your part place in milpitas and If I don't find it there I'll definitely let you know, thanks for the heads up

Im pretty sure you can find at least 4 useful pump shafts at the one in Newark.

Remember to check any straight 6 Datsun Z they have the same shaft. Also check the pickups and maximas. The 1st gen maximas had the L28's in them like the Z's

-Avery

Im pretty sure you can find at least 4 useful pump shafts at the one in Newark.

Remember to check any straight 6 Datsun Z they have the same shaft. Also check the pickups and maximas. The 1st gen maximas had the L28's in them like the Z's

-Avery

Yeah I couldn't resist so I went there and picked one up off the 620 with the L16 thanks for letting me know where to find one!. The thing is that now that I put it in the car and is not giving me the 11:28 position, I doubt the last fu*er that touched it (changed the timing chain) knew what he was doing. Good thing he didn't finish the car and tried to start it with out the oil pump spindle :mad:

lesson learned, don't buy something that some dumb ass that thinks he knows what hes doing has disassembled and attempted to put back. I should have known that the car didn't get finished because he didn't know what he was doing!!!:cursing: rant over :fu:

You know what I would do? I would just take of the head and take it to get checked. Then arm it back together with a new gasket.....

So when I get it. It would be in good shape! :lol:

Nah for reals... First check to see if the chain is aligned correctly. 20 minute job... Then put her back together and fire her up. Also check that the chain is not hitting the thermostat bolt.

replace plug on # 3

Make sure the wires are on correctly 1 3 4 2 fire order/

then lift the valve cover and look at the rocker arms on#3 cylinder. amke sure a lash pad did not fall ont.

then get a compression ck to see maybe a hole in valve piston before breaking motor in half!!!!!!!!!!

The thing is that now that I put it in the car and is not giving me the 11:28 position, ????????? Ur doing something wrong. put motot to TDC and lne up the mark on the pump then install till it comes out correctly. If you dont do this youll be off and start the car and it will run out of timming once running (barely run).

I hop the pedastal mount is correct for the distributor you have?

Edited by banzai510(hainz)