HELP! 69 Roadster with a blown engine

gpcdatsun

Need suggestions: I have a 69 Fairlady 1600 engine with 2 cylinders at 60lb compression, I have already checked the threads to see if any info was out there that may help. If I were to swap the engine out for an upgrade, what type would be the easiest swap? I have read that it is the hardest to swap. Ok. If I were to rebuild it are there any suggestions on the rebuild to increase performance. Any information would be helpful. I don't want to rebuild it and then find out for a few more bucks I could have done ?????? Open for ideas.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the quick response!! As a matter of fact, it is #'s 2 & 3, I will definitely check that out, it was told to me that the engine was rebuilt before they parked it for a few years. The 1 & 4 pistons are 140psi, so that may be a possibility. Thanks for the info, I hope you're right cuz that would save me a ton o $$$$$. If you're right, then she should be back on the road wihin a month!!!

Keep your fingers crossed, it won't take long to pull the head off and you will see it right there in the middle of the gasket. you may have to plane the head. If it was run long with it like that. Use a good gasket and never seize on the threads and washers so you get a good even torque when reasembling.

I agree with Whip. Don't reuse the head bolts and change over to studs. If you warped the head it is not the end of the world as they are easy to come by for the 1600. Just be glad it is not a 2000 or it adds up in a hurry. You need to determine why she over heated though. You are going to have to get the radiator checked along with the water pump and thermostat. Let me know if you need anything and I will help you out if possible. I think I have at least one spare head around but it might be a little under spec. You would just have to run a thicker head gasket or live with the higher comp/ratio and run premium.:)

Good stuff ! I really can't say how much I Luv Ratsun, but here it goes. Ratsun is the best site on the net because of the people. Bar none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm crossing my fingers on head.

Go over to the classifieds at 311s. A guy in Sacramento is pulling a R16 with good 4 speed for $200. If I was closer I would be all over that. It is a 3 main engine. They spin up faster or you could just swap out the head. Supposedly 1K since it was rebuilt by M Young. Jump on it if you are close.

Go over to the classifieds at 311s. A guy in Sacramento is pulling a R16 with good 4 speed for $200. If I was closer I would be all over that. It is a 3 main engine. They spin up faster or you could just swap out the head. Supposedly 1K since it was rebuilt by M Young. Jump on it if you are close.

While the 3 main bearing engine is "not correct" for the 69, it sure as hell will work. Direct bolt in. Just remember, it has SAE threads, not Japanese metric so attaching intake and exhaust manifolds etc requires that you check the stud and bolt threads. Metric studs into SAE holes don't go.

While the 3 main bearing engine is "not correct" for the 69, it sure as hell will work. Direct bolt in. Just remember, it has SAE threads, not Japanese metric so attaching intake and exhaust manifolds etc requires that you check the stud and bolt threads. Metric studs into SAE holes don't go.

If you do have a SAE engine head use standard American Carb mounting studs to attach the intake and exhaust manifolds. The coarse thread end matches the tapped holes in the head and the fine thread end and matching nuts are just right for torqueing down the manifolds. These studs usually come in a set with correct nuts. Many different lengths, so one will be perfect for your set up.