Factory?????

kansascity1

What are the chances this 65 520 came from the factory with a hand crank hanging out of the front? There are quite a few Dat history buffs on here....let me know what you think. My buddy is contemplating buying this truck, but is not quite sure about the hand crank. Pacific Coast if you read this try not to buy this one too, give some one else a chance to own a Datsun. The truck is in the San Diego area.

DSC00545.jpg

DSC00546.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow a 520 near me? How did i miss it..LoL My yard is full & no time for what i have now so tell your buddy to buy it. 520's are hard to find these days, not sure if they came w/ the hand crank stock though. My 320 has one & it turns heads whenever i show it. Where is this truck listed BTW ?

It isn't listed. The guy got ahold of me from my craigslist listing I had up. He says the crank is factory. It doesn't run but it has 2 motors and 2 trannies and another door, I think. Interior is in decent shape from what I can tell. Still has the bumperettes on it too, not in great shape but they are there. I will keep you updated if I get it.

Ok, let's analize this........... First, all of Us that have brochures in Our collections, look closely to see if any 520s have that hole in the front bumper. That location would have to be the same for all 520s. Next, does any brochure or owners manuel mention a crank starter? I don't know about trucks that early. Mark has direct knowledge on 320s, which are earlier and I would think that if 520s had this option, then surely an earlier truck (320s) would have it. I am right now awaiting three 320 brochures coming from Japan that I won on ebay. I will look closely for mention in them. It is EASY for an older guy to add that option and then drill that hole. Look very closely to see if the hole was done by a drill (rough edges) or PRESSED with a huge factory press (like the bumper bracket holes) at Nissan. If enought of Us look at 520 pictures, manuels and brochures, We should be able to answer this question. My uncle used to tinker around a lot with stuff. In His time, and possibly the late 60s in this trucks era, somebody could take a crank starter bracket off of something else and install it on the crankshaft, then lineup and drill the hole. Lots of commercial vehicles had crankstart brackets that He might have taken it off of back then. The owners manuel should have the answer, but it is probibly long gone. Also, for replacement purposes, a 520 PARTS manuel should list those components. Lastly, Ron Wehby has a 320 with crank start. I don't know anything more about it than that. He can be reached at 909-622-1381. He might know about this.

All 320s came with hand cranks.

520s may have, especially in '65, but that is NOT a '65 520 (not unless the entire front clip was replaced). '65-66 520s had single headlights.

To add the hand crank would take more than just the hole in the bumper- also required a special crank pulley nut (so that the hand crank doesn't take your arm off when the thing starts).

Yes, crank pulley nut. That was what I was trying to describe. It is designed to "kick out" the hand crank handle when the engine finally catches. Maybe He got one off of a 320 and installed it. Those wouldn't have been too hard to find (junkyard, etc.) in the late 60s and very easy to install by a tinkering soul, like My uncle was.

HMMMmmmmmmmm, You are right about the headlights. Those other two don't appear to be installed later. What grille is that? And look closely at the hood emblem. Was that stock? This is starting to look more and more like a very rare truck and a GOOD FIND!!!! Congratulations!!!

Hi Ron. It's been over a year since I was there but Ron had it inside on the left side of the building. That is where the floor drops down from the front desk area into a garage. If You go by there please tell Him I said Hi. Mike