521 > front disc. conversion

gbjoey

I aquired a '70 521 pu. that I would like to trick out to my taste. I want to slam it and in doing so , put on power front disc. I've been following some forums , and if I understand it right , I can put 620 arms , HB dropped spindles, calipers , etc... . Since the front is kingpin , how does one change to ball joints ??? I'm mechanically inclined on doing this , but need a 101 info sheet and the actual parts needed to do it right. I understand that I will have to use 17" - 18" rims , thats no problem ! I seen one truck that was pictured , in progress , that was slammed like what I would like , has the larger rims . I guess I need to find out who's it is and ask some questions.

I'm a new member , but have had Datsuns all my life, love tricking out the little mini trucks ! I hope there is someone that reads this that can help me out !

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also doing a revision to my caliper bracket to solve Josh's issues. Before you jump on that bandwagon there Guy....slight oversight on my part, but I'm glad Josh is close and keeps in touch with me so I can find this out and fix it. Apparently all the other guys I've sold them to haven't put them on or haven't had issues with it. I think his problem is amplified due to his wheel/tire combo.

It's none of my business. I was simply providing a general warning to be careful when buying ANY custom fab stuff, make sure that it's been tested, and if at all possible get a good look at it yourself. You can never be sure with other peoples amateur work. I don't want to argue about it, or fight with you, I wasn't even talking about that in particular. Just be careful with any purchase.

on a side note, I don't see any way that a wheel/tire combo could possibly effect the caliper braket->tie rod end clearance. Again, not my argument, not my business, and I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Love always,

Guy

It doesn't affect it that way, but it makes it more noticeable when the wheels stick out wider (make the track width wider). I know you weren't nec. talking about mine, just assumed that maybe my latest blunder caused the statement. I totally agree with you though. I'm not trying to get rich by selling snake oil; just trying to earn a couple bucks to further my project and help out some fellow dat freaks.

I would like to work on some parts for the 510's as well....hint hint

Jeff had told me that it would be nice to have brackets for the rear of the 510's for discs. Are there none out there?

It doesn't affect it that way, but it makes it more noticeable when the wheels stick out wider (make the track width wider). I know you weren't nec. talking about mine, just assumed that maybe my latest blunder caused the statement. I totally agree with you though. I'm not trying to get rich by selling snake oil; just trying to earn a couple bucks to further my project and help out some fellow dat freaks.

Jeff had told me that it would be nice to have brackets for the rear of the 510's for discs. Are there none out there?

yes there are some out there go http://datsun510.com/shop4/

yes there are some out there go http://datsun510.com/shop4/

I've never seen that page, they seem like decent prices. I guess your going to have to design some other needed brackets for the dimes :D

yes i spoke with beebani today and he's going to make everything good with me, i really appriciate his effort in solving my problem, When i bought these i knew they were experamental.. i knew there would be some issues some how or another just didnt expect that problem.. however i discovered it and

Thanks me (appearantly im the only one whos mounted them yet) i have found what seems to be the Only problem with them and he can now improve his design so the rest of the folks in the future get brackets without issues... things take time to perfect and the fact that he's willing to do this is great, i dont know how or dont have to stuff to doit and im sure if i paid someone else it'd have costed alot more

heres what i think, beebani makes some good brackets for those of us who cant offord finelines design.. we did find a problem but its bein fixed so i would say if u wont a cost effective disc brake setup go ahead and go with beebanis setup ofcourse after its corrected... as far as stopping goes.. its aweomse!!!!!!!! worth the money spent minus the turning issue which again like i said is being fixed

there my opinion.. for what its worth :)

I've never seen that page, they seem like decent prices. I guess your going to have to design some other needed brackets for the dimes :D

did you check out this part of the site http://datsun510.com/ there are other parts plus you can access the blue birds list archives from it o and if you register to the web site you can access the free on line manuals and there are some sweet datsun racing videos you can watch to

Being I don't know a whole lot about any Datsuns other than a 620 I don't know if it will be the same, but I am pretty sure the 521 and 620 share drum brake front suspension. This is my how to for a ball joint front end. Somebody that knows the differences please chime in. http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=481