The magic 5 speed???

So when I got my 620 I thought it was a 5 speed, until I changed the shifter bushings. Once all the slop was gone turned out (I thought) it was a 4 speed as it would not go into the 5th position...

Fast forward to yesterday. I'm sitting in the 620 going through the gears, and it magically goes into "5th"... WTF? So I take it out, and run it through again, and again, and again... Sometimes it goes in, sometimes it doesnt... When it doesn't go in you would swear it was a 4 speed. Ram it to the right and push up and sometimes it goes in... Sometimes it goes in perfectly normal, sometimes not at all, somtimes you have to mess with it...

Any ideas about this? Would it be possible to do this with a 4 speed? Magically slip between gears? Or is it really a 5 speed with a bent shift fork or something?

I'm really baffled by this considering I've been driving it around as a 4 speed forever, and it would never go into a "5th", yet, now it does?!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy way to tell: look on top of the tail stock, directly in front (forward) of the shifter. If it is a four speed there will be a rectangular cover with six bolts holding it on and a small plastic breather cap. Here's a picture, (because everyone likes pictures) ... of a F4W71B 4spd. Note the removable cover, six bolts and breather. If it does not have this, congratulations it's a 5spd and where's my cigar? If it does have it, then you have a 4spd and were trippin'...what were you smokin?:D

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transF4W71Blongtail1.jpg[/img]"]transF4W71Blongtail1.jpg

Thanks mike! I'll look for this tomorrow when I go over to my Dad's house where the truck is at. If it is a 5 speed, why does it only want to go into 5th sometimes? And if it's a 4 speed, why does it go into "5th"? Freakin me out man!!!

The 5spd was basically a 4spd with an over drive gear and synchro tacked on and using the reverse shift rod and fork to engage it. The B shift forks aren't real strong and reverse even more so. Adding a 5th gear put's a lot of extra use on it and it can get bent or may just suddenly fail. My truck 5th just stopped staying in gear though you could hold it in. A week later 2nd did the same so I swapped it.

I doubt this is a 5spd as a worn 4spd might just have enough slop and wear in the fork to go up into that position and seem like a mystery 5th. I call that 5spd envy. :D I do hope I'm wrong.

Edited by datzenmike
  • 3 weeks later...

200sx 84 turbo trans look just like a 4speed but are 5 maybe someone did a swap

Easy way to tell: look on top of the tail stock, directly in front (forward) of the shifter. If it is a four speed there will be a rectangular cover with six bolts holding it on and a small plastic breather cap. Here's a picture, (because everyone likes pictures) ... of a F4W71B 4spd. Note the removable cover, six bolts and breather. If it does not have this, congratulations it's a 5spd and where's my cigar? If it does have it, then you have a 4spd and were trippin'...what were you smokin?:D

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transF4W71Blongtail1.jpg[/img]"]transF4W71Blongtail1.jpg

200sx 84 turbo trans look just like a 4speed but are 5 maybe someone did a swap

Never heard of this. I don't believe the four speed tail stock has clearance to fit over the fifth gear on a five speed. Besides the '84 turbo 5spd wont fit the 620 anyway.

Edited by datzenmike