Engine swap?

I know this question has been beat into the ground but...

I have a 1973 datsun 620 stock. A friend might be getting rid of freshly rebuilt z24 and 4x4 5 spd tranny. I was wandering what would be involved in making the swap. I looked around but couldnt really find anything. If this is going to be to much of a pain whats the easiest and/or best 5 speed swap. I dont know of any driveshaft places near where i live so that may be a limiting factor. I personally would prefer an l20. What I'm looking for is speed with the economy and streetability of overdrive.

Edited by rocknstedy24_7
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at a local salvage yard today. I saw a pretty cool looking "67" 520 with a Z24 in it. It had the dual headlights and the cowl tag said "67". For the life of me, I can't figure out why it was in the SY. It was a decent appearing rig. The Z24 looked at home and comfy in the engine bay. Seems like a worthwhile endeavor..

My .02... or maybe .0254

Hell in todays market its more like .000254. If you have .02 cents your not just throwing it out there. LOL

Market? There's a market for my pennies!?!

In that case, I have a.. ummm.. well.. i have a empty TP roll I'd let go, to a Ratsun-er of course, for .03 :D

I know this question has been beat into the ground but...

I have a 1973 datsun 620 stock. A friend might be getting rid of freshly rebuilt z24 and 4x4 5 spd tranny. I was wandering what would be involved in making the swap. I looked around but couldnt really find anything. If this is going to be to much of a pain whats the easiest and/or best 5 speed swap. I dont know of any driveshaft places near where i live so that may be a limiting factor. I personally would prefer an l20. What I'm looking for is speed with the economy and streetability of overdrive.

Use the Z24 motor mounts to install in the '73. Keep the Z tranny mount to use in the 620 just in case...or find one from a '74 and up 620. I don't think the '73 tranny mount is anyway near the same. Be sure to get the Z tranny shifter with it. Oh yeah... you do know that you won't have a speedometer if you use the 4X4 tranny, right? Your '73 drive shaft should fit the 5spd just fine. The L16 rad is a bit small, maybe an L20B 3 core? The Z24 rad is very wide and won't fit between the 620 headlights. You should be able to clamp the Z24's 2" down pipe over the 620's smaller exhaust pipe just under your feet. I can't remember the 620 pipe size but if too loose slip a 6" length of 1 7/8 over it and slip that into the 2"... or use a reducer. Get a pair of Z engine EI coils. Your 620 coil is no good for this. All I can think of right now...

WoW going from a small L-16 to a torque monster Z24 is going to knock your socks off!

Deciding on an engine based only on a few h/p is not the way to go. Each engine is different in it's drive ability. Horse power is usually in an RPM range that is seldom driven in. The difference of a few h/p at 5,800 has little meaning in stop and go driving. Generally, of two motors making roughly the same h/p, the larger one does so at lower RPM and has more mid range torque. In other words you don't have to drive the snot out of the smaller motor to get the same performance.

On paper the 620 and the Z24 motor appear to be about equal in power. But where the L20B makes about 100 ft lb of torque, the Z24 makes about 30% more and at a lower RPM. This translates to much more acceleration and 'power' in the lower RPM driving range. This is ideal for pulling a heavy truck around. I admit that the Z24 runs out of steam above 4,500 RPMs, but who drives there? The bottom line is that for the bother and low cost of this motor, I think you will be impressed with the out come.

What DatzenMike said...about torque/power band...is totally true. I would way rather have a machine that took off quick and made an awesome little barking sound than one that could really perform above 5g's. I know...I know...it is really cool to hear something tac out at 7-9 grand and still pulling hard:eek:, but in a 620...if you ever haul anything...:rolleyes:???

REALLY???

The Z series motor will provide years of nearly trouble free fun...cheap!

I see what your saying Datzenmike and it makes alot of sense. i didn't think of it that way. Is the angle of the trans going to effect the transplant? I'm only going to be able to do this swap if my friend goes through with putting a 327 in his 86.5 4x4. (Not keeping it 4x4 though.)

Denveratsun you have me pegged, i do love hearing them wind up.:D