Has anybody heard of ampco fuel pump?

Guest nateoneel

Guest nateoneel

My 78 datsun 620 came with a Hi volume low pressure AMPCO fuel pump when I bought it.

DSCN6711.jpg

The trouble is the diafram in the middle ripped. Leaking gas like a son of a gun. The whole pump comes apart real easy like its ment to be rebuilt.

My questions is does anybody know of any resources to get a rebuild kit for it?

thanks for your time.

nate

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nateoneel
I'll sell you an OEM Nikki fuel pump for the $85 you burned me for on that exhaust manifold and down pipe that was never meant for a 620...

you're just stupied. I burned you? Just because you claimed you had to take it to a machine shop instead of using a nut and bolt to hold a down pipe and manifold together. two out of three studs where fine. The third hole was smooth so any one with commen sense would have just use a nut and bolt. Its dumb ass like you that makes forum site no fun. Always claiming that things didn't work perfectly, wwwaaa waaa lil girl. fu*kin sissy. I unbolted it myself from a junk yard 620. So yes it came out of a 620 like a stated.

The downpipe you sold me does not fit the manifold. Further, even if it were modified to fit the manifold flange, it would NEVER bolt up to a L series engine. It is from some sort of front wheel drive vehicle. NOT A 620.

Guest nateoneel
Looks exactly like the stock early Datsun fuel pumps. You might be able to buy the rebuild kit from Nissan.

There is a web site selling them, don't recall the name. About $20.

if the website comes to you later please let me know.

thanks ggzilla

I'm referring to the down pipe not the exhaust manifold. I accept the condition of the manifold. The down pipe will NOT fit on the picture exhaust manifold and it will NOT fit on an L series engine. The pipe curves straight into the engine dude. Just as your photos show. Want to refund my money since you misrepresented what you were selling? I'll ship it back to you!

Guest nateoneel

I have seen other datsun 620 trucks before with the same looking pump but they where always smaller. Most I've seen where 3" in diameter. The one I found on my truck is 4" in diameter.

DSCN6717.jpg

Can anyone with the same pump please measure theres and report back?

Guest nateoneel
I'm referring to the down pipe not the exhaust manifold. I accept the condition of the manifold. The down pipe will NOT fit on the picture exhaust manifold and it will NOT fit on an L series engine. The pipe curves straight into the engine dude. Just as your photos show. Want to refund my money since you misrepresented what you were selling? I'll ship it back to you!

I have no need for it, thats why I sold it. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, I personally unbolted this manifold AND DOWN PIPE from a 620 datsun in B&K junk yard in lagrande OR. The engine was in the truck with no hood. I saw it and using the tools I was given by B&K I unbolted it. So don't go saying crap like that when I now what I did.

I have no need for it, thats why I sold it. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, I personally unbolted this manifold AND DOWN PIPE from a 620 datsun in B&K junk yard in lagrande OR. The engine was in the truck with no hood. I saw it and using the tools I was given by B&K I unbolted it. So don't go saying crap like that when I now what I did.

There is no way that this down pipe will work on a L series. First off, it won't even bolt up to the L16 exhaust manifold. At all, the flange is not the same. Second, if it were to be modified to fit the exhaust manifold, it hits the engine.

Put together and post a picture. Should be obvious if it works or not.

I'm out of town working for a couple more days. I'll post photos when I get back to the shop.

I knew that down pipe looked tooo good to be true. He did state it came of a 620. But I have never ever seen one like that on a 620. So I passed on it.

I wish I had been as wise as you. I bought it to make my engine install easier.. not

Guest nateoneel

Of course you're out of town, that a good excuse. The motor was a L20b with a U67 head. Square ports. Can anyone out there with a OEM header post pics of theres? Showing its the same.

I knew that down pipe looked tooo good to be true. He did state it came of a 620. But I have never ever seen one like that on a 620. So I passed on it.

The 620 L16 used until Sept. '73, and the L18, Oct. '73 to Aug. '74 used an exhaust manifold and two into one down pipe..... similar if not identical to that one. L20Bs used a single large down pipe with three equally spaced studs.

Here's an L16 could be 521, 620 or 510?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/motorL16exhaustmanifold.jpg[/img]"]motorL16exhaustmanifold.jpg

This is from an L18 so around '73-'73 so not a 510 but could be a 620 or 610/710

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/enginepossibleL18620exhaust.jpg[/img]"]enginepossibleL18620exhaust.jpg

Edited by datzenmike
Guest nateoneel
The L16 used until Sept. '73, and the L18, Oct. '73 to Aug. '74 used an exhaust manifold and two into one down pipe..... similar if not identical to that one. L20Bs used a single large down pipe with three equally spaced studs.

And are these different manifolds interchangable? Square port to square port and round port to round port when going from a L16 to L18 or L20b

As I have said a few times, the issue isn't the manifold. It is the down pipe. It doesn't fit any L series. It doesn't bolt up to the L series exhaust manifold. It would hit the engine.

P.S. Why do you need an L series fuel pump if your truck has a SR20DET?

Only the '78 and up 620 had round exhaust ports. Basically any L20B with W-58 head.

I have never heard of any problem swapping L16/18 square port exhaust manifolds, after all the heads were much the same. Why make them different when it would be easier to have the down pipes different for cars and trucks.

Edited by datzenmike