1971 Datsun 521 Round II ( the nicer of the two)

jrock4224

well she ran for a second anyway. quiets motor i ever put together. fuel pump #1 was bad no pumpy, fuel pump number two, worked for about 1minute beofer it succumbed to years of non operation. ran on ether and force fed fuel. buddy hans had too many road soda's and hookedup my brand new optima backwards and let the magic smoke out of my alt. gotta a spare i cleaned in the parts washer and ready if that one makes no voltage.. im just glad my optima still works. couldn't get slave and master cylinder to work at all. kept bubbling back out of the m/c indicating m/c done. fuel pump, m/c and slave all on a plane to be here monday. i hate next day air fees....should be road worthy by next week.

One thing i am looking for is the bracket that mounts from the intake to the air cleaner assembly. i call it the x braket ... need two of them....

Sorry bout the blackberry pics left my dig camera at home on accident. will take more pics next time im out there. cant wait to bring here home. gonna do the seat mod at my house and fix a few other things start my hid's and find room for a train horn. i want to know about the one piece drive shaft mod. is there one im lookin for or am i taken my two piece and using the ends to build a new one piecer..??????

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

got some road time on here and am trying to work out the kinks in a few bugs....... my stock carb idled poerfect but dies when you rev it up....might be the accelerator pump. tried second carb that idles like crap but doesn't die....am running this carb right now but lately anytime i come to a stop it usually dies if i dont feather the throttle or choke it. these damn stock carbs are turning out to be more headache then the webers i have had.....had to swap the alt out with a older one with a obvious bearing problem but it charges so its better than the one i took out that was ultra quiet.... i will upgrade to a larger saturn one soon. found out 4sp.+highway= noisey ride. all in all runs good and quiet withte original carb little noiser and rougher withthe second carb .. probably gonna try the weber off my mazda to see if i can make it run decent. its 32/36 anybody got a spare adapter plate lying around..??????? heres some pics from work today....

1971521DatsunPickUp014.jpg

1971521DatsunPickUp012.jpg

1971521DatsunPickUp013.jpg

1971521DatsunPickUp015.jpg

here's a set of wheels I traded for today for my two door tahoe project...what you guys think ....me I like a simple wheel and these are as simple as it gets....

Edited by jrock4224

feather the throttle or choke it. ????Usaully this is a idle jet plugged.

BUT try adjust the mixture screw,The one with the tension spring at base of carb. Turn it in/out till it runs smooth Or hopefully runs smooth.

turn it in all the way(count this first incase you have to go back to where you started) then maybe try half turns out till it runs. Then just go out till it runs bad then turn back in till its good. Go back and forth and pick the middle.

The front snubber I think you need a 12 or 14mm to remove the hex nut and they come right off

also on the carrier bearing if you go to low it puts tension on the bearing. You might have to lower the bearing by putting a spacer inbetween the frame and bearring housing to lower it abit.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

thanks for all the great tips and by the way i ordered a set of heater hoses today, thanks a bunch.....i got a couple of old belltech poly bump stops i was gonna try...but i was gonna cut the mount off all the way and make a newer lower one.....whats funniest is it will be all cut out when i through saome bags on this winter......yeah i tried the mixture screw and it didn't make a real difference at all. whats tha crappiest about all my carb troubles is that the one i started with idled so quiet and perfect, man i was impressed. went to throttle up and it falls on it's face acts like a bad accelerator ump if you ask me but i dont wanna mess with it yet took the other carb we knew worked and it sucked ass. yeah i been runnin a little choke to keep 'r runnin when stoppin.........tried the heal toe method but couple times my big ass size 13's slid off th e non pwer drum bnrakes and you only gotto do that once before you stop trying to kill pedestrians by heal toing it. thihnkin im gonna try my 32/36 off my mazda but i had probs with it beofer so i dont know.....i appreciate all your help and everyones for that matter....

my carb troubles is that the one i started with idled so quiet and perfect, man i was impressed. went to throttle up and it falls on it's face acts like a bad accelerator ump if you ask me

cycle the carb linkage and look in the main barrel and see if a steady stream. If not then its a acell pump. I dont know(i threw all my stock carbs away) if the linkage is ajustable on the accell pump .Or u can find a rebuild kit and just replace that part on the outside(like a weber DGV)

I had a weber DGV accel pump that was stuck in the IN mode. So much corrossion that the accell pump lever was pushed in but then got stuck not comming out.

Figured it out then WD40 that area

• 2 weeks later...

1971 521......

Got the adapter and everything for the 32/36 experiment. Fuel tank leaking still bt only when full. Looked on top of tank and there's no moisture but it only leaks from the bottom when full. Just gonna swap it out. Still have to try that accelerator pump on other carb first. It ran sweet but no accel.

Fun fact: New brakes needed adjustin regularly....otherwise becomes e-brakish. Spun it out showin off all new brake set up. Ok spun it out a couple of more times for fun....very knight riderish:o

Parked it and am drivin the tahoe for a few.....new shoes

heres a pic of my tahoe freshly new brakes, master cylinder, intake gasket set, valve cover gasket set, all new wheel bearings, rimms tires and a few other loose ends......thought you guys might like to see the tahoe I drive regularly....521 is in its place right now for my sweet carb issue in the engine forum...check it out its like the four of july.....

IMG00052-20090426-1926.jpg

when you throw some bags on yours, wanna do mine too?????? :D

How bout i experiment on yours first then do mine correctly......:lol: Got mine and a buddys to do then i would be more than happy to help you out. bout to have first child though so it may be a while...mines gettin done this winter along wth the other one at the same time.....:blink:

What did i do to my truck this weekend, welcomed a new co-pilot into my tribe. this will allow my pleads at please let me get a 4dr. 510 to be heard......she clapped when she saw my 521, already a datsun lover.....

002.jpg

Taylor Rae 9lbs 2 oz 21inches 10 fingers, 10toes and ready to hand daddy wrench's:eek:

Which, my powder coating shop is 7000 square feet.....the shop we were workin on the 521's at in was 36 x30. Originally it was 36x24 but we added 6 feet on so it would be easier to work on his dually. hence the weird sizing....i only wish he'd build a loft to store some stuff off the ground ......its got two single doors and the side space that his 521 is in right now. we have had 3 521s in at ne time no problem and we ve had my dually, his dually and 4 quads comfortably in it too.

Edited by jrock4224

HAHA!!!!!!! Already to hand you tools eh? Yeah, my kids have both been really helpful in the shop. They helped a bunch with Grandpa's truck (mine now)

"Taylor Rae 9lbs 2 oz 21inches"...:eek:Big kid man!

Congrats to you and your family:D

Well fuel tank leak is fixed and guage works again....my buddy was nice enough to swap out the tank form our parts truck while i was home tending to my new daughter.....Hans has been a lot of help through out this build up, allowing my truck to sit in his garage and be worked on ......if it weren't for friends how would we solve our problems and get stuff done.....a big thanks to him.....for a great baby shower gift, my 521 dialed in....cant wait to get it back from his house and take for a ride.....

• 1 month later...

Yo yo checkin back in after a hiatus..........baby is all good and the 521 is back at home to .....as stated before, swapped to a new fuel tank that dont leak and the guage works now. Weber is all on there with no whistle, Hans was nice enough to port the intake to match the carb, now no more whistling....and now no more stalling or rough runnin, runs perfect.......Gonna drive her for a while to make sure everthing is ok plus i missed her, so i wanna get reaquainted with my datsun....brakes are still whacked out but they are mildly better than before, discs are next for sure....

...My buddy frank bought that orange 510 in toutle last week that was on craigslist, looked nicer on craigslist then in person, thank god he jewwed him down....l20 runs strong but car has a host of little probs. to fix....mostly like everything is hooked up backwards, kid used to many spray cans at once, f-d up the engine bay....but its all there for the price a good starter 510 for him.. i woulda bought it for what he paid.....nice to see everyone again and i will check back with current pics and and info as develops on the datsun...been drivin my chevys to long time to get loose in the datsun.....