My First 510

Danfinny

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...so I went to san bernardino last night... Car looks great no rust or anything, so i decide to drive it home...to San Diego lol...what was I thinking???:confused: believe it or not I almost made it home, at about 50 miles from home i could tell the alternator went out lights got dimmer and dimmer:D well long story short the car seems to run great overall carbs needs adjusting bad and i think there is a fuel leak somewhere real strong smell of gas coming from the inside the car, made it all the way to Mira Mesa just 10 miles from home and it died lol...no more juice left in the batt...$125 tow charge.

The Good

straight body no bondo, Runs sort of...

The Bad

Wiring issues

Carb need adjusting, used almost a full tank of gas in less than 100 miles:eek:

some block head cut the springs makes for a really bad ride and rear camber is off too:mad:

real bad vibrations, I am thinking either all four tires not balanced or drive shaft, maybe a carrier bearing if these things have one or cv joints

needs a hood front is bent. guess i should start my own project thread, you think i can swap in a Ka24de with $1500 i am sure the hell going to try:lol::lol:

You can do a ka swap for like a G if you know how to fab stuff.

motorset 600 if your lucky

shorten driveshaft 60bucks

fuel pump 90 bucks

slave cylinder 30 bucks

flat steel to fab tranny mount 20 bucks

exhaust tubing 20 bucks

wiring do dads/relays/fuse box 40 bucks

return fuel line 20 bucks

So that is only 900ish dollars.

Now you could buy a 2 row aluminum radiator from summit for like 150 and figure out radiator hoses, or get a rabbit scirocco one.

Then all it takes is time :P

Ok...so I went to san bernardino last night... Car looks great no rust or anything, so i decide to drive it home...to San Diego lol...what was I thinking???:confused: believe it or not I almost made it home, at about 50 miles from home i could tell the alternator went out lights got dimmer and dimmer:D well long story short the car seems to run great overall carbs needs adjusting bad and i think there is a fuel leak somewhere real strong smell of gas coming from the inside the car, made it all the way to Mira Mesa just 10 miles from home and it died lol...no more juice left in the batt...$125 tow charge.

The Good

straight body no bondo, Runs sort of...

The Bad

Wiring issues

Carb need adjusting, used almost a full tank of gas in less than 100 miles:eek:

some block head cut the springs makes for a really bad ride and rear camber is off too:mad:

real bad vibrations, I am thinking either all four tires not balanced or drive shaft, maybe a carrier bearing if these things have one or cv joints

needs a hood front is bent. guess i should start my own project thread, you think i can swap in a Ka24de with $1500 i am sure the hell going to try:lol::lol:

No worries at all. Common issues on old Datsuns.

Alternator -upgrade [60 amps] easy.

Gas smell- prob. a bad filler neck & leaking into trunk.

Springs- can be found used & or do a coilover setup.

Vibrations- no carrier bearing [1 piece shaft] but check everything you mentioned.

KA swap- totally possible like Norcal dime said..if you have a welder & some tools it can be done in the garage.

Try a weber down daft carb.

Time it again(olddatsuns.com)using a light.

This is a auto trans I wonder if the torq converter is robbing power???ck the oil.

Charge battery, Then with car off get a test light remove the neg batt cable and put a TEST light inbtween the cable and battery. If light come ON theres a short.

also get a volt meter and see whats ur voltage just say at 2k rpms then load it down by putting on the lights ect. should stave above 12.5volts

more like 13.5 or above w/ no load

Ck the alternator out (have tested) If good swap a Volt reg

If converting to mantrans oull need the man pedal assembly and a gas pedal of a manunual as the ARE differnt shape. and a Hyd line that routes to a slave cylinder

on the gas smell. As stated it probably is the filler neck but I had that same smell and it turned out to pin holes from rust all around the drain plug. also there was way back when a recall because of a rubber cap on a line in the tank next to the fuel outlet that dryrots and then leaks. If you take the back seat out and the fiberboard panel out you can see the fuel line outlet and the capped line. Easy thing to check and eliminate.

Damon

well Alternator tested fine battery was shot, cleaned up the voltage reg no joy, so i replaced it and that seems to have done the trick,

I am going to spend as little as possible on l16 thats in it, it runs really good i was surprised after i tinkered with the carb a little, it will do 85 90 down the highway no problem, should do more but i wasnt going to push my luck. lol

And now begins the parts hunt.