Datsun is starting to piss me off help guys!!!!????

Dat620 77'

So right before my other distributor went out my truck started to back fired so i was like ok i need to get off the road and park it for the night. Well i got it home took me about a month to find a distributor and put it in and everything ran like a champ.Well just the past few days i have been driving and yesterday my truck died all together out of nowhere. I was driving down the road and it started like bogging out and backfiring. As i look back out of my exhaust i see sparks big sparks coming out of my exhaust and it all the sudden dies. Now i think my altinator is out because the charge light stays on and it dies when i disconnect the battery.Any help would make me very appreciated so shoot for it im getting really fed up of my truck breaking on me all the time.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bogging out, dying, dizzy crapping..hmm..

Tell more about the dizzy, is it a stock dizzy? Did it just wear out the points or did it really burn it up? Did it fry any of the wiring?

I would comb over the engine bay and make sure you don't have any wires that are burnt, melted or bare. Check your ground wires that they are connected, any corrosion? Check under the truck for dangling wires they may have been knocked loose. Could be a couple things to me but the first thing I would check would be the wiring because it sounds like the sparks just looked like they were coming out of the exhaust when in stead they were just being blown out from under the rear of the truck. So it could have been you were dragging something but then you would have to troubleshoot a little different, but if it was sparks from a wire grounding and arcing off the alternator, frame or distributor wire or just a wire in that loom it could be our problem. Go have the alternator tested at autozone, or just open it up and see if the brushes are bad. Might want to unplug the alternator, making sure the wires wont touch anything, and see if you can get it running without it.

On a side note, what carburetor are you running? Any pictures of the engine bay you can post up? Good luck and let us know if you find anything!

hey guys i know for a fact that it was coming out of the tailpipe for sure and im still not sure what it could be to cause this.My friend said that my charge box on the inner fender could be bad and not the altenator so im not sure about why my charge light is keeping on.And it wont stay running when i disconnect that battery like usual so who knows.Im just sick and tired of the truck acting up its bogging out and sparks flying out the tail pipe what the hell could cause that i dont know.I love my truck to death but i mean its freaking pissing me off right now and dont worry guys im not giving up. I love my truck i dont want to get rid of it any time soon.

I'm trying to figure out the exhaust sparks too! Maybe you're shooting flames!! When the truck loses power, spark intensity maybe, you are drowning the cylinders causing unburnt gas to exit into the exhaust then when one of those cylinders fires enough it catches the unburnt gas on fire sending flames out the exhaust!

You get this:

I'm not sure on the charge box, if you get a charged battery and run the truck with the alternator wires unplugged from the alternator does the truck run the same?

On another note, does the truck do this all of the time now?

Maybe consider a tune up or check the things you have. Check the spark plug gaps, start the truck at night and take a look under the hood and see if the spark plug wires have electrical leaks lighting up the outside insulation, it may look like a jacobs ladder if it is arcing to another plug wire badly. If you notice it happening when it's wet or raining could be something to look at. If the wires are damp or wet it will cause the to arc more which basically equals a loss of spark intensity = unburnt fuel = flames out the exhaust.

How is the carburetor doing, is it the stock carb? When is the last time it was rebuilt? Do you know if the truck is in time? Again, post up a pic of the engine bay, maybe we can point something out! I hope any of my rambling helps out!! Good Luck!

Edited by ezcruiser
Yeh, like sparks or flames? If you have sparks, that is reeeeaaly not good. I once had sparks coming from a lawnmower engine's exhaust, it was because there was no oil in the engine. It also suddenly died.
yikes, yeah! Check that oil!! If it really is sparks, let me ask you this. Do you have a resonator, glasspack, or catalytic converter on the truck? Reason is if the cat is clogged, it could be burning pieces coming from the comb in the cat! Does the exhaust ever look black when you're running the truck?

The '77 would have points unless California. Check that they are in good shape... shit, they are cheap.. replace them and set the gap. Make sure the distributor is well grounded to the block. Replace the wires, cap and rotor unless you know they are new. Now stick an old plug in one of the wires and lay on the valve cover. Crank it over, if there is spark your ignition is good. Set the timing. (assuming it will idle)

Sparks out the back could be carbon flaking off the pistons, down pipe or muffler. Likely from burning oil or over rich mixture. (carb flooding) Pull a plug and look at it. Is it bright white, light tan/brown, jet black but dry or black and oily wet????

Check battery posts are tight, that there is a good ground wire from the neg to the sheet metal on the body. Make sure the voltage regulator is tightly grounded to the fender, connections tight and belt not loose.