5 Speed Swap Into a 521 Question???

I am about to drop the dogleg 5 speed from a 77-79 200SX into my 71 521. I have talked to two different guys who have done the same swap and gotten two different answers.

One used the flywheel and clutch kit from the 521 with the new tranny and the other used the clutch and flywheel for the 200SX. Are they the same clutch and flywheel that made this work for both applications???

I have both clutch kits and both look very similar but not exactly the same. However, I only have the original flywheel from the truck. I am trying to get this thing put in tom night and plan on getting the flywheel i have resurfaced in the morning. So does anyone know which route I should go to make sure this thing is put in correctly without having to find out the hard way?????

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the flywheels for the 521 and 200SX are not compatible with each other. The 521 has a L16 and the 200SX a L20B, which have different bolt patterns (L16 has 5 bolts, L20B 6 bolts).

The Clutch should be the same, or at least close enough. Both are 200mm clutch surfaces and parts list the same one.

That's of course assuming original engine. If the truck has an engine swap, well, that throws everything out the window. Mainly because if it has had a swap, who knows what flywheel is on there now.

The flywheel/clutch size is irrelevant, the dogleg will bolt up to any L series motor.

1/ If you have the L16 and use the stock 521 clutch, use the stock 521 release bearing collar. The release bearing collar is matched to the clutch/pressure plate size so keep them together even if you swap trannys.

2/ If you have the stock 521 engine (L16) then you can't possibly use the 200sx flywheel so forget about that. However:

Measure the L16 clutch disc width it's probably 200mm. If it is, and only if it is, you could use the much stronger 200sx L20B clutch and pressure plate on the L16 flywheel. IF YOU DO: get the release bearing collar that fits the 200sx clutch. I can't be sure the L16 collar will work with the 200sx clutch. If the clutch sizes are the same 200mm width, they should, but to be safe get the right collar. The 200sx and the 521 collars are different part #s

In all cases replace the release bearing about $20 and install a new $5 output seal in the back of the tranny. Install tranny empty... less mess.

Edited by datzenmike

Here are the facts.....I have the stock flywheel from the L16 that is in the truck. I also have clutch kits for both the 200SX and the 521 which consist of the clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing and pilot bearing.

So from my understanding I should be able to bolt either clutch kit to my existing flywheel with the parts supplied within the kit and be fine???

Also, the input, output and centershaft bearings along with the output seals have all been changed prior to installation of the tranny......

After much research last night I have decided that I am going with the clutch kit for the 200SXusing the 521 flywheel. The clutch and pressure plate do have different part numbers and are slightly different. The 200SX pressure plate looks like it would be stronger so I am going to go with it since I see no reason at this point why it would not work. I will get elbows deep into it tonight and hopefully by the time I am able to post back to say whether it worked for me or not I will have driven the truck home in order to access the computer to do so.

Thanks for all the input guys...I like the fact that this forum has informative people rather than a bunch of punk kids making rediculous comments on a subject they know nothing about!

Let us know on the clutch change.

Far as I know you just use the 521 T/O baring and collar.

The 200sx long as its a 200mm it should work.

What Jeff Hino(ice house) does is he removes the motor and trans to gether then bolt them back up outside the truck then sees it it works or not. Cks the The clutch lever movement and make sure it slightly loose when lever is fully FWD.

PS If I were you buy a xtra master and slave cly.

Fuck After my trans change im having nothing but proplem. w/my slave. It went bad and Used a rebuilt kit and its sucking air. Thought it was then the master but went bad again. So its the slave with the rebuilt kit.

BUY NEW and dont x thread the master !!!!!!!!!

I know a Roaster PressurePlate is interchangable with all 200mm flywheels,

Just use the T/O bearing and collor that was with the vehicle.

I never seen a 200sx T/O bearing and colloar so cant tell ya.

Roadster is double the pressure,not really needed for a daily driver stock motor

I bought new clutch master and clutch slave cylinders when I started gathering all my parts. However, they were bought for the 521. Although the part numbers are different between the parts for the two vehicles I dont think it will be a problem with them interchanging to work fine.

I ended up using the 521 flywheel with the clutch kit for the 200SX. Got it all put back together late last night, drove it home about 30 miles and then drove it to work this mornign about 15 miles and it is doing fine. There are a few strange noises in certain gears but looks like it is from drive shaft movement. I am goign to drive it a little more and see what comes of it but so far so good.