2 questions: L series oil system related

rusty510

1- i have noticed that the L series uses the same oil filter as some ford v8s, does this mean that i could use a "sandwich" adapter for a ford v8 to get an oil feed? or do any of you know where to get one for an L series?

2- i read in another thread that the oil pumps from ka motors will work on an L series and provide more oil flow, is this a direct bolt in or what modifications does it take to work?

thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Probably not Ford. You can find a factory oil cooler kit from the 1981-83 280ZX turbo, but only the turbo engine with an automatic transmission had them.

otherwise, Summit racing (.com) has a couple L-series sandwich options.

2. Yes, they bolt in and had more oil volume and slightly higher pressure. The same oil pump was used on the L28et. 280zx turbo and KA24 were the same oil pumps. :)

1. Probably not Ford. You can find a factory oil cooler kit from the 1981-83 280ZX turbo, but only the turbo engine with an automatic transmission had them.

2. Yes, they bolt in and had more oil volume and slightly higher pressure. The same oil pump was used on the L28et. 280zx turbo and KA24 were the same oil pumps. :)

speaking of oil pumps

I have a 280zx Turbo oil pump mixed in with the regular oil pump parts bin

Are they stamped with a number that tells me it's a turbo oil pump?

speaking of oil pumps

I have a 280zx Turbo oil pump mixed in with the regular oil pump parts bin

Are they stamped with a number that tells me it's a turbo oil pump?

They are indistinguishable from the outside when mounted.

Here is a regular oil pump. The horizontal surface down inside the oil inlet port is the top of the rotor.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/motorHi-volumeoilpump1Lg.jpg[/img]"]motorHi-volumeoilpump1Lg.jpg

Here is a hi vol pump. You can clearly see that the rotor is much taller and fills part of the inlet port.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/motorHi-volumeoilpump2Lg.jpg[/img]"]motorHi-volumeoilpump2Lg.jpg

They were used on both the automatic and standard L28ET motors. The part numbers for the standard does not match the automatic but does match the '86.5-88 D21 Hardbody with Z24i motor. The KA24E used in the '88 and up Hardbody and the 240sx car were different part numbers also but were still the hi vol pump. In fact any E or DE KA motor used in a RWD vehicle should have it. The different numbers were likely different pressure release spring rates for different motors.

The hi vol pump was also used on the '81-'83 Maxima with the LD28 Diesel option, and was rumored to have been used in the JDM Z18ET motor. May* have been used on propane powered L20B lift truck motors.

A higher vol pump will still put out roughly the same pressure as the old one as it is dependent on the relief spring pressure. However at low pump speeds it supplies more oil to leaky bearing surfaces and will raise the pressure. I went from 17 to 29 lbs hot idle oil pressure. Very comforting.

Edited by datzenmike
  • Like 1

They are indistinguishable from the outside when mounted.

Here is a regular oil pump. The horizontal surface down inside the oil inlet port is the top of the rotor.

Here is a hi vol pump. You can clearly see that the rotor is much taller and fills part of the inlet port.

Thanks Mike

All North Am block threads are the same, at least back then. There were 2-3 different gasket placement spin-ons to choose from but hard to use the wrong one. I have used the 300 cu in inline Ford six, GM 305 V8 and Chrysler 318. All fit, were larger and best... cheaper. I would just look up the L20B filter and compare to the larger ones and make sure the rubber gasket is in the same place. I use the cheapo Canadian Tire ones made by Fram. Get changed twice a year so only couple of thousand miles anyway. Hey reality check, it's only 80-90 (maybe) hp anyway and they have worked good.

Because they look the same memorize those pictures and don't let them sell you the wrong one. Some kid might have had them out and got them in the wrong boxes. I'll bet there's more than one person out there that thinks they have a hi vol pump that doesn't.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0195.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0195.jpg

Not the best picture but you can see the difference in length of the rotors. The hi vol rotors are 1.5625" long standard are 1.375" that's about 14% longer... makes a BIG difference.

Edited by datzenmike