fuel tank question

samsung

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pump should be mounted as low and close to the tank as possible. I can't see fuel sloshing lasting long enough for the engine to use all the fuel still in the line and cut out. The pump so far from the tank may be a pressure problem... mounting it low at the back should help... it's a good idea anyway.

I have the same issue as you when I'm low on gas. But only if I stop/turn hard with about 2gals or less. Since yours is external, I've heard people using what they call a "sinker" which is basically a flexible tube connected to the feed line inside the tank, and a small weight on the end of it. When you turn, the weight will shift around WITH the fuel and keep it sucking in petrol.

Or install a surge tank.

You need a surge tank or a cirular baffle. I battled this when setting up my EFI. I drive fast and hard. About half a tank or less and it would run dry when I took a hard right hand turn. 1/4 tank and it did it when I accelerated hard. My pump was mounted right below the fuel tank, only about 14 inches of hose.

I have the same issue as you when I'm low on gas. But only if I stop/turn hard with about 2gals or less. Since yours is external, I've heard people using what they call a "sinker" which is basically a flexible tube connected to the feed line inside the tank, and a small weight on the end of it. When you turn, the weight will shift around WITH the fuel and keep it sucking in petrol.

Or install a surge tank.

The weight in the tank won't work because there are 2 baffles in the tank that seperated it into thirds so the weight wouln't be able to move around.

I'm going to use a boat fuel cell because nothing else will fit since I cut the ass up. I'm not going to screw with sumps or baffles. I have been reading just a good surge tank is good. Idk seems the easiest solution.

If I'm not mistaken the 240sx is an in tank pump which means it will have some sort of built in sump or baffling to keep a small amount of fluid for the pump.

Your correct.