rear tail shaft seal leaks

79datsun620

my tail shaft seal won't quit leakin,ive even put a new nissan seal in it.the drive shaft was out for while and the yoke got pretty rusty and i sanded it down real good with some emery cloth,do you think i took so much material of that it wont seal now?:blink:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You only need the front half of the yoke with the spline on it. Just separate at the U joint and good to go. If you plan to change the driveshaft you would be replacing the U joint anyway.... right? Be sure to lube the shaft before inserting. (yeah, I went there)

... with some emery cloth,do you think i took so much material of that it wont seal now?:blink:

would take a lot to remove 'too much'.

is there any groove in the yoke, from the old seal?

if the new seal rides in the same poisition as the old, an effective seal may not happen. if you can poistion it in a different place(little deeper/not as deep) that may help.

If the chev timing seal works you might be able to get a slip cover for the crank snout on a small block chev also. I had to put one on my old impala. It was nothing more than a thin metal sheath that was just big enough to go around the crank and covered the grooves and sealed it up quite well. I dont know the differences in diameter between the input shaft on a datsun DL and a chev crank though. It was fairly cheap and it *might* be an option though.

Schucks/Kragen used to sell them about 10 years ago but their inventory has changed. I remember they used to ask if you needed one with the seal.

Id be curious to know if it works, Might help out more than a few people if it does. Good Luck