WTB 510 rear spoiler

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure which one is in the pics cuz they're not working... and you literally never see a 510 with a trunk spoiler.

BUT I happened across a brand new one, the guy didn't know what car it was for or anything and I wanted to be different, it's like BRE trunk spoiler for the s30 Z, but this 1 is a lil taller and fits flat trunks like the 510. Fits quite nice on my 510, just had some minor adjustments done to it for a better fit. I'll be picking up my 510 from paint in the next day or 2 to show pics.

I'll most likely be making a mold of it and reproducing them if there's enough interest.

Sneak peek of it...

IMG_1013.jpg

I'm trying to add pics but can't tell if it worked.

280zforce the one you have is cool but I'm looking for the smaller version. I have a pic of it in my album if you can go and check that out. Not the best pic. Till I figure out how to get pics in here I guess that will have to do.

Thanks for the help guys

http://forum.ratsun.net/picture.php?albumid=172&pictureid=805

I hate to post pics of it yet cuz it was getting body work done... it's in primer now and getting painted tomorrow, BUT ah what the hell, enjoy!

It'll have the spook front, the rear spoiler, and also adding ZG flares all in satin black, on some new 16x8 Rota RB-R flat black wheels (sold the konigs).

The car itself will be 2009 Nissan Skyline Titanium Metallic.

Click pics to enlarge!

th_IMG_1010.jpg th_IMG_1011.jpg th_IMG_1014.jpg

Yeah, that spoiler ^^ is definitely NOT for a 510 cuz of the arch it has for the mounting area. You'd pretty much had to blend that one in and use a lot of filler to blend those gaps in. Might look a little weird.

Also, it's not a Z spoiler either cuz the 510 BRE trunk spoiler I have is wider than a Z one.

I believe that one you have is one from a late 60s Camaro...

05.jpg

Edited by 280zForce

There's a aerodynamic purpose to why BRE designed the spoilers the way they did for the Datsuns. The BRE spoilers were aerodynamically tested to figure out what angle and size was best fitted to help reduce drag, it's not just your typical styling spoiler.

This article is about Z cars with the BRE hatch spoiler, but I'm sure the same was put to use for the 510 and maybe why it's a lil taller since the roof line is a sharper drop off withe back window rather than a hatch.

http://www2.zhome.com:81/CarDriverAero/CDAero74.htm

Well great responce to wing.

280zforce can't wait to see car finished!! It looks bad azzz! I think the wing looks killer I will definatly use the larger BRE wing on my next 510. listen to me I haven't even got my 1st 510 legal and on the road. I guess I'm hooked. I'll still keep restoring American muscle cars an love the roar of the V8's but this 510 is awsome! Larger wing works well with a flaired body.

The 510 I picked up is to original for flareing although I was looking for a flaired 510's when I started.

510er That is the size range I'm looking for but I do body work and yes it is doable but represents a fair amout of work to shape for 510.

The 2002 BMW wing is about the size. If you cut the top 3inch's off the large BRE wing that's about what I would like.

Hay just thought I'd say this is a cool site.

You wrote:

The 2002 BMW wing is about the size.

Back in the 70s, we used those black "rubber" spoilers for the BMW 2002 and 320 on 510s here on the East Coast. Fit was pretty close and easily modified.

Of course, I don't know where you could find one now.

IMHO, anything much taller on a 510 just looks out of place.

I modified one from a '75 Celica GT once. Cut the height down a bit and it wasn't too bad. Just didn't like it on my street car. Ended up on a SCCA track car that I sold and never saw again.

There's a aerodynamic purpose to why BRE designed the spoilers the way they did for the Datsuns. The BRE spoilers were aerodynamically tested to figure out what angle and size was best fitted to help reduce drag, it's not just your typical styling spoiler.

This article is about Z cars with the BRE hatch spoiler, but I'm sure the same was put to use for the 510 and maybe why it's a lil taller since the roof line is a sharper drop off withe back window rather than a hatch.

http://www2.zhome.com:81/CarDriverAero/CDAero74.htm

Trust me I know a little about aerodynamics...I took my fair share of wind tunnel labs during my years at college while earning my aerospace engineering degree but those BRE spoilers like you have were meant for the 240Z which has a totally different rear profile than our boxy 510's. The wind flow off the slopped rear of the 240Z is smooth (laminar) flow compared to the rough (turbulant) flow that comes off our boxy 510.

If you compare the 2002's to 510's, they're practically the same 3 box design, so my guesstimate would be that the guys over at BMW would have done their rear spoiler homework for what was best suited for their turboed 2002 as far as what is best for performance, nevermind the 'look'.

I like how the one you have looks...looks agressive but I don't think it's the best for performance...just my 2 cents. Now if you could make it not so tall and angled back some, say to a 30 degree angle or less, then I might line up and get one. :)

Edited by 71DIMER

The BMW 2002 is about the same size. I could put that kind of money to better use on my car though!!!!!!

I am actually going for the look at this point. It is a street car for fun. If I get another and I think I will. I'll go with the more agressive look with flairs and all. 510 I picked up is to original to flair and mod. I am going to double sided tape the wing on so I wont have to drill trunk.

I may have to get the tall BRE style and just cut the top 2" or 3" off and use that. Who knows???????

Thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.