phosphorous acid rust removal

athoose

So I picked up some Rust Away phosphorous acid and did some rust removal.

This product didn't work as good as I remember but it got the job done after several applications and lots of work with the 3m/wirebrush drill mounted.

RustAway4.jpg

RustAway2.jpg

RustAway1.jpg

Used some old blue jeans, seams were not optimal. I wanted to try this job with molasses but needed to get it finished asap. I will have to see if I can work this out in the future.

RustAway8.jpg

RustAway6.jpg

RustAway7.jpg

I still need to hit the hatch area behind the roof with the remover. Roof is pitted but no holes. Hood will need several small holes welded and I will need to deal with the underside before it's finished. Went ahead and painted to protect it for now.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It took a long time say 20 hours but that was due to someone hitting it with 20 grit and giving it deep scratches and not sealing it, so really fine deep lines of rust. Also putting rust converter on it in the past ... the new substance was effected little by either acid or stripper or sanding for that matter. I despise rust converter. Doesn't cure the problem and creates new ones. It's a band aid at best. The job would have been much quicker and easier if it was just typical rust, like 5 hours or less. Acid doesn't remove paint, but may effect it.

So I picked up some Rust Away phosphorous acid and did some rust removal.

This product didn't work as good as I remember but it got the job done after several applications and lots of work with the 3m/wirebrush drill mounted.

RustAway4.jpg

RustAway2.jpg

RustAway1.jpg

Used some old blue jeans, seams were not optimal. I wanted to try this job with molasses but needed to get it finished asap. I will have to see if I can work this out in the future.

RustAway8.jpg

RustAway6.jpg

RustAway7.jpg

I still need to hit the hatch area behind the roof with the remover. Roof is pitted but no holes. Hood will need several small holes welded and I will need to deal with the underside before it's finished. Went ahead and painted to protect it for now.

navel gelly works good too.. my question is whats the best thing to put over the surface to keep the rust off? is there a specific primer?

Any sealer will work.

Primer is not a sealer generally, very poruos and can speed up the rusting process by trapping moisture. You can get sealing primer, but you have to make sure that is what you are getting.

Rustoleum or Krylon enamels are good for sealing, but the color does not last unless you clear coat it.

There are a few other products you can use to seal besides paint. Take a look at Eastwoods website they carry quite a few sealing products.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/

2eDeYe;131075']Any sealer will work.

Primer is not a sealer generally' date=' very poruos and can speed up the rusting process by trapping moisture. You can get sealing primer, but you have to make sure that is what you are getting.

Rustoleum or Krylon enamels are good for sealing, but the color does not last unless you clear coat it.

There are a few other products you can use to seal besides paint. Take a look at Eastwoods website they carry quite a few sealing products.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/[/quote']

i tried a rustolium rust converter and it lasted a good part of a month but what i have justed used primer on (i think it was the self etching primer) has lasted for about a year... :blink:

Buy some epoxy primer it can be used as a sealer or primer.It all depends on how you mix it.I have some Pro form epoxy primer if you mix it 1:1 with the activator it is a epoxy primer.If you mix it 1:1:1/2 thats one part primmer one part activator and 1/2 part urethane reducer is then a epoxy sealer.