77 620 KC Rusty Rat Repair

Wharf Rat

Well here we go, pulled out of the snow bank and jumped started it. Fired right up after three years. Brakes froze and clutch not working. So it got dragged into the shop, glad the driveway was all ice!

IMG_0004.jpg

Aww this won't be to bad, I got a slave cly. in the glovebox, get that done and then get those drums off. Well the slave that was on it was (volvo maybe) held in place with one bolt and I had to cut the ear off to get a wrench on it. After that, run and get the right bolts. I remembered to leave it hanging and bleed it first, then mount. Worked great first try. Cool.

IMG_0024.jpg

From here it was a battle, the wheels that an old buddy of mine had put on it while he was borrowing the old girl had been mounted with the wrong thread lugs, all 24 of them! No dynimite handy and my 1/2 impact would not move them. Took three off by hand with a long breaker bar. I then went and got a big gun (3/4 drive) from a friend. Needless to say the studs didn't like it.

IMG_0019.jpg

The front drums came off pretty easy after a good beating and shoes and clyinders were dry. So a good cleaning and 80 grit to the drums, slap them back on and step on brake pedal and no surprize instantly pop a line.

Ok been here before, just start cutting them off. Man I didn't know how many lines they use on that system so the back brakes won't lock, but it's a shitload and they all had to go.

IMG_0018.jpg

To end this first chapter in a nut shell Got all the lines on and to my delite all the bleeders opened no problem. But couldn't get a good pedal so I started the truck up and put in gear to see if the back ones were working stepped on the brakes and yep just back were working. I thought something fell of the bed so I shut it down and stepped on them again .... nothing .... a drum had fallen off and I pumped the piston out of the wheel clyinder. Even though they worked in the rear I got to fix them up.

Well thats enough for the nite . I need a pair of rear clyinders, shoes and it looks like a kit to rebuild the master. Unless I'm bleeding this system wrong and not getting all the air out?

Peace WRAT

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx, I have to order my brake parts today. Those rockers were made from a peice of rectangle shaped tubing I salvaged from somewhere, sliced it in half. Worked well attached to some heavy gauge floor material. Then I used the ol' hockey pucks for cab mounts trick. That was over ten years ago. Where's the best place to score some front fenders?? Mine are so shiney that you can see right through them in many places (can't have that on this old RAT).

Well, I have my Mickey Mouse T-Shirt on today so I'll kick some ass for sure.

As the penguin on the dash of my old truck says, I'll give you a "Progress Report!"......... later.

"Just smile and wave boys smile and wave"

WRAT

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the stuff to get the old Rats binders working. scored a master for twenty bucks and a pair of clyinders for $34, ebay is a good thing! shoes at Napa for another twenty spot. I droped them off at the shop, maybe my elfs will do them for me tonite. (they are on the level)

Peace WRAT

IMG_0067.jpg