my carb broke...

Farmer Joe

well i guess i didnt knock on wood enough.

the primary throttle shaft on my motorcraft weber wannabe carb broke today. it busted right where the screw goes though the shaft that holds the butterfly on. and it broke on the actuator side too. so now when i push the gas, the shaft just slides out of the carb housing and it goobers up all the linkage for the secondaries.

and now that its got a hole in the throttle plate it runs like poopy. lol.

i think itll be okay though. ive got a buddy that fiddles with those ford 2000/2300cc motors and hes got a few of those motorcrap carbs that i could prolly get a good bottom half from. its kind of a good thing this happend. the throttle shaft bushings are totally gone and are just vacuum leaks.

so if i get the right parts tomorrow, ill get some pic of the busted carb.

Edited by Farmer Joe
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i got new bottom half for the carb and got it all put together and on the truck. start it up and it still runs like shit. so the hole in the throttle plate wasnt the reason for the miss.

i guess the screw from the old throttle shaft got close and personal with one of my intake valves. ive got a slight pop from the carb when i snap the throttle, and one of my rocker arms is clickin now. pretty bad too. it has a really bad miss that comes and goes kinda fast.

so tomorrow im gonna pull the valve cover and find the loose rocker, and pull the plugs too, to see if any of em got messed up from the screw or anything. i think if its just a bent valve, that im just going to clean up the seat as best i can and just put a new valve in it.

well i got it fixed. turns out the miss was caused by the #1 sparkplug being pushed shut. i dont know from what, but the electrode was closed.

and then the rocker click was caused by this...

DSCF0057.jpg

i dont know what made that happen, but i put it back on, and now all is well!!

i also tuned the carb again, now that all 4 cylinders are firing. it runs really good now. best its ever ran.

so, now well see what happens next... lol

I bet both problems were caused by the screw going through the engine. It got caught in the valve, holding it open momentarily which made the rocker come out of the groove. Then the screw got mashed up into the spark plug, bending the electrode before finally making its way out the exhaust (you hope). Probably a couple good dings in the piston crown now. Hopefully they don't cause hotspots and piston failure.

well i hope it didnt do anything really bad to the piston. but, only time will tell. im not gonna worry about it right now.

i finally put a could miles on it, and the difference in the carbs is like night and day. the throttle response is so much better now that i dont have airleaks on the throttle shafts. its nice to actually be able to set the side with the idle screw instead of havin to mess with the mixture screw. that old carb was a pile compared to this one.

Any piston dents will fill with carbon:D

lol, hopefully!!

when i bought my luv the PO put a rebuilt head on it and didnt set the timing chain right. so every piston had 2 big gouges in them from the valves. i slapped another head on it and drove it for a long time, and never had any problems with it, till i revved it to high one day and got a really bad rod knock.