Need some help

Jester

OK, So I think I smoked the 5 speed in my KC. Ya it's the one I just put in. I found my oil leak.:mad: Took my exit the other day and the truck started rumbling like you wouldn't beleive. Allmost like a bearing is gone and the shaft is slapping around in there. Now it just sounds like crap at an idle.

So tonight I pulled the tranny. The shaft doesn't seem to be loose. The inside of the bell is coated in gear oil. I ALSO found out I didn't exactly get my flywheel bolts tight enough. (I know, DUMBASS) The pilot bushing is hammered. Not that big of a deal. And the clutch is fine. Should I try and pull the tranny apart and see whats up? Are these expensive to have rebuilt?

The next thing I find blows me away. The rear main seal in the engine is about HALF WAY OUT! I just pushed it back in with my finger. And not even pushing hard either. WTF???

I have about 45-50 lbs of oil pressure at startup and just off idle. At idle it's around 25lbs. Not leaking any engine oil. At the rear main anyway.

Thanks for any help, ideas or discussion.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would replace the rear engine seal. Get a good one this time! :D

The main or front counter gear bearing is probably done. Read this: http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=8978 to see how easy it is to take apart. All you need is the bearing and a puller and hammer the new one on. Well. if applicable. Drain first and look at the oil.

I knew I should have put a new one in while I had the engine out the first time. Maybe I'll just to like you did and pull it apart and reseal the whole thing. I just can't afford it right now. Then again, I can't afford to keep driving my Jeep everyday either.

Thanks guys.

I knew I should have put a new one in while I had the engine out the first time. Maybe I'll just to like you did and pull it apart and reseal the whole thing. I just can't afford it right now. Then again, I can't afford to keep driving my Jeep everyday either.

Thanks guys.

My advice is to order Nissan gaskets. I'm sure there are plenty of naysayers. The quality of the Nissan gaskets is far superior to anything else, especially Fail-Pro. With that said here's what I paid for gaskets:

Valve cover - $15

Intake/exhaust - $22

Comp Oil pan gasket - $9

Front cover gasket $10

Front seal $6

Rear seal $14

Distributor, oil pump, thermostat housing and water neck - $1ea

I know that sounds like a lot of money. But, a sealed up engine will be worth a lot in wasted oil and countless other issues.

This is definitely a "Do it right, do it once" kind of thing.