starts, drives , then dies

Roman Tasel

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Electric fuel pump? Gets power when the starter is engaged, pumps pressure to the carb. Loses power when engine fires and switch is back to ignition. Runs until carb empties. Sound like that could be it?

I once bought a Yota that the owner had towed to the dealer three times. Each time they didn't find a problem and it would run OK a day or two. He finally got POed and stuck a 4 Sale sign on it. I happened to stop to look at it and heard the story. Of course, it started right up and ran about a minute and a half before dying. I bought it for a absolute steal price. Went back with my buddy to pick it up. Got in, cut off the air conditioning switch, fired it up and drove it home 10 miles. Fuel pump relay wouldn't make with the A/C - Heater fan motor on high. Bad, bad switch! :D

Look in the glass front of the carb. Is the float down when the fuel is low?

If yes take the fuel inlet banjo bolt off and clean the brass screen.

No, place some rags under the front, remove the three screws, glass and bezel and find out why the float is stuck.

The carb shop tested the carb, and it worked perfect.:mad::mad::confused: Oh yeah, I also removed my AC that did not do anything. THEY also removed the watch glass and checked the float, it was fine. The fuel pump is mechanic and brand new as well as the filter.

Edited by Roman Tasel

The only thing I believe is what YOU know about the carb, not what the carb shop thinks.

OK first, when it quits is the carb dry or just low fuel level?

Ah it has a bull's eye sight glass type? When it quits can you see any gas in the sight glass?? If you can it's got lots and it's likely something other than lack of fuel.

Edited by datzenmike