Possible Bent Spindle

tangent

Is it possible to have a slightly bent spindle?? I did finelines disc brake upgrade and they havnt seated completely yet, (partly because the friggn thing needs a new carb) but the drivers side is the only one im concerned about, it seams to squeak and groan in an ocillating fashon, as if the rotor is wabbleing.. the only way I can imagine this happening is if the spindle was slightly bent.. the car appears to be wrecked on the drivers side before, and I was wondering if anybody thinks this is possible..

My spare drivers spindle is no good, does someone have a spare drivers side spindle they will sell me???

Possibly the hub flange that lugs go into is bent??

Anybody got one of those too??

Im at a loss and just trying to get these brakes worked out before I start on any other part of it i.e. Engine Swap..

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does the steering wheel give you wrist massage when slowing down from speed (hwy speed or more than town speed) that will help determine part of the problem, you can also measure runout if you have the dial indicator with a magnetic base

does the steering wheel give you wrist massage when slowing down from speed (hwy speed or more than town speed) that will help determine part of the problem, you can also measure runout if you have the dial indicator with a magnetic base

can you post a link to this tool of which you speak

Dude not that I'm a doubting your problem solving skills... :D If the spindle was bent the wheel wouldn't wobble it would have excessive camber maybe caster... but not a wobble. maybe your rotor is warped or not seated all the way. If the caliper isn't making full contact I can see that being a result of a bent spindle though.

Now I think its more likely that the Flange on the Hub that holds the lugs is warped...

the rotor is brand new, so I cant see it being warped

I do remember that there was an ocilation before when there were Drum Brakes on it... I thought that I had something to do with the fact that the bushings kingpins or bearings were bad... But since the drum Brakes work on a verticle axis and the disc brakes work on a horizontal axis, I think it is more pronounced now that it has Disc Brakes...

I dont think the problem is attributable to Finelines Brackets.. The passenger side seems to be just fine.. I have a couple extra hubs, but not a drivers side spindle...

Anyone with a 521 Drivers side spindle please PM me,

I think Ill just replace the whole enchillada and see if it helps..:mad:

If the thing ran worth a shit, I would just drive the piss out of it for a while and see if they would seat.. so I'm looking for a 32/36 dgv carb as well, actually any carb that will work well with my L20 actually....

Hey Ted,

I'm doing a writeup about the dually project. Can You remember exactly where You guys got the fenders and rims? Any information would be appreciated. I am thinking now that they came off of a truck built in Santa Ana of which two have surfaced on the old forum. Do You still have the truck they came off of? If so, does it have a builder's sticker in the door area? Thanks, Mike

From what you said, it sounds like the new rotor is warped possibly from improper storage at a parts house(happens all the time), or mabey the rotor is not seated on the hub. I would pull the hub/rotor assy, and look at it on a brake lathe.