VG33 Removal from a Pathfinder

So I recieved a free VG33 from a work customer this week under the circumstance that I devote some time to pull it. Has anyone on this forum ever pulled a VG from a pathfinder with a auto tranny? I have the entire enginge loose and ready to be lifted out but I hit a road block in my plans. I spent 8 hours today trying to pull this thing out. The oil pan with that massive block rear sump doesnt seem to slide far enough forward before hitting the front axle to allow it to clear the auto tranny. Do anyone of you know, do I need to drop the tranny to get it out? Do I need to remove the oil pan? I read in the Haynes manual for the Pathfinder about removal of the engine and it says nothing about dropping the tranny, it just says to clamp visegrips to the bell housing to hold the tork converter in the bell.......WTF PLEASE HELP, I WANT TO TAKE TO ITS NEW HOME AND NOT SPENDING HOURS AND HOURS IN A STRANGERS GARAGE:confused::confused::confused:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The torque converter must be separated from the flex plate. Look at the bottom front of the tranny. There should be a removable metal plate between motor and tranny. Behind it, inside the bell you'll see a flex plate with the starter ring on it. There will be 4 bolts attaching it to the torque converter. Remove the 4 bolts and the moroe should separate and lift up and out. Make sure the tranny is supported and that the torque converter stays engaged to the tranny and does not fall out.

Here's a couple of flex plates. Yours is likely similar to the right one. This is the torque converter side.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/enginedriveplates78620and88D-21Larg.jpg[/img]"]enginedriveplates78620and88D-21Larg.jpg

Here's the torque converter and the 4 bolt holes.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/tranny84Maximaand78620torqeconve-1.jpg[/img]"]tranny84Maximaand78620torqeconve-1.jpg

Mike thanks for the info, however.....Im trying to leave tranny in the truck for the scrapper. My Problem is Ive got the tranny and motor apart about 2 inches, from that point the block style oil pan is really close to hitting he from 4by diff. Im trying to figure out if I can actually get the motor out without moving the tranny back because the motor has to move nearly straight up to come out. How long do yo think the tranny shaft extends beyond the end of the bell housing? Do I lay under and unbolt the torque converter, then hold it in the bell housing and pull slightly up and out the engine? I think tats what your saying. Must unbolt torque converter first before they will seperate right!!!!! I just cant get the motor out yet???? My idea was to side that monster tranny rearward to make room or unbolt that hideous oil pan....what do you think I just dont know....aghhh now that youve made sense I wanna hop in my truck and go try it but it n Bonneylake and I live in Puyallup.....maybe I can sneak out tommorow am before wifey wakes up haahahha:eek:

Im trying to leave tranny in the truck for the scrapper.

If this rig is going to the scrapper, grab the front calipers. They should be a dual pot caliper. If you don't want them, I would gladly pay shipping.

Good luck on getting the VG out.

I live in the Puyallup town and winn be free sat night and sunday and would be willing to stop by and give a hand ro whatever I can do to help! (twootwooo4-one one thre ninee) or send me a PM with yours incase my phone is still messin up!