hesitating problem is getting worse !

coolioni

Now that it is gotten pretty cold here in florida, it has made my hesitation , and very choppy accelleration even worse when it is not completely warmed up.

If I need to start from a complete start I have to give it a lot of gas just to keep it from stalling out as I am getting it in to gear.

Then it will start hesitating and "bucking" in second and sometime even in third.

I notice the problem does go away somewhat as the engine gets warmer .

I am starting to wonder if I might need some clutch work and an adustment to the carb.

I thinik it is now time to bring to the shop !

It really suck having these problems. I was told it would go away when I fixed all the timing parts and guides, but that did nothing at all for all the hesitation and bucking of the engine.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told it would go away when I fixed all the timing parts and guides

You can ck this your self and see were the timming marks are at on the cam

If good then I would call that OK.Maybe would be noisey if loose slack side guides or maybe the lower tensioner worn out.

If warm runs better? That would rule out the timming chain& parts right?Tell your mech that one!!!!!!!!!

As I have said in previous posts, I have already redone the entire timing system.

I bought the timing kit which came with the chain, sprokets, guides and tensioner.

So it is not the timing, unless it is just set wrong.

My mechanic really knows these engines well , so hopefully when i bring it in (saturday) he may finally diagnose the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
Now that it is gotten pretty cold here in florida, it has made my hesitation , and very choppy accelleration even worse when it is not completely warmed up.

If I need to start from a complete start I have to give it a lot of gas just to keep it from stalling out as I am getting it in to gear.

Then it will start hesitating and "bucking" in second and sometime even in third.

I notice the problem does go away somewhat as the engine gets warmer .

I am starting to wonder if I might need some clutch work and an adustment to the carb.

I thinik it is now time to bring to the shop !

It really suck having these problems. I was told it would go away when I fixed all the timing parts and guides, but that did nothing at all for all the hesitation and bucking of the engine.

"Pretty cold in Florida"..... :D

Any chance this could be a choke problem? It doesn't matter where you're at; a cold engine is a cold engine. How about a clogged fuel filter or a fuel pump on its way out? I'd try that stuff first before taking it to the shop...It's cheap, quick, and easy.

The choke is likely not set rich enough. On a cold motor take the top of the air filter off and pump the throttle... the choke plate should close like this:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/carb720notlikethisLarge.jpg[/img]"]carb720notlikethisLarge.jpg

...and not partially open or fully open like this:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/carb720shouldlooklikethisLarge.jpg[/img]"]carb720shouldlooklikethisLarge.jpg