l20b smoke from valve cover, sounds like dirtbike

NorCalDime

so i was driving home a few nights ago a little spirited on the freeway nothing past 4.5krmps in 5th and noticed what sounded like an exhaust leak. So i check things out the next morning and sure enough i had a good leak from my header collector to the exhaust. so i fixed that thinking all was good and then started it and it still had it.

So i drive on it, real easy and i see some smoke from my exhaust at idle, blue smoke. it goes away and hasnt come back since, but i noticed that my valve cover breather smokes alot. like if i get off the freeway and stop at a light i can see smoke from my hood. there is oil residue on my firewall from were it looks like it is spitting.

also my car sounds kinda like a dirtbike or a open downpipe subaru. It seems to have the same amount of power as it did before though

Now is this blown rings? bad valve seats? i still need to do a compression cehck but that wouldnt really tell me if it was valves or rings right?

What should i do help!?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i was thinking more about it and i had a problem before with the number 4 cylinder. i had a lash pad fall off while driving and i went on it for about 20 or so miles. It was tapping and floppin around. It smoked right before i fixed it, but i think it was just because the plug was fouled, i replaced em and the smoking was gone.

So im thinking maybe this event messed up the valve, or the seal. And maybe now its not making a good seal causing this problem.

ck the valve lash and see if lash pad fell out.

make sure intake EXHAUST manifold didnt blow out if rocker arm wasnt pushing on the exhaust out.

Lots of smoke from the crank case vent of top of valve cover is blowby or you filled up to much oil.Maybe bad fram oil filter plugged????????Im guess on those ones.

To me smoke valve cover or crank case vent at idle is blowby

leak down test will tell you exactly what died. go buy a 20$ leak down test kit from harbor freight or equivilent. screw it in to the problematic cylinder (if you know which one it is) turn the cam till the valve lobes for the cylinder your in are at 10 and 2 and slowly add psi with the leak down tester. if you hear hissing in the carb you have a bad intake valve. if you hear hissing in the exhaust you have a burnt exhasut valve . If you hear hissing in the oil pan you have bad rings.

now just a random guess here but i think you cooked the rings as the crank case should not have smoke coming into or out of it. The test will tell you whats going on.