How do I fix sloppy tranny outshaft?

purple

Yep, I thought the vibration was a U joint, but after shaft removal I found I could move the shaft out the back of the tranny. A friend mentioned it is a race? Can I take the tranny apart in the car or do I need to pull it? I was lookin for my 210 shop manual, but all my stuff is packed away and who knows which box it's in.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You *might* be able to disassemble it while in the car, but it is not easy even when on a workbench.

If it is a 4-speed, don't even bother. Just get a good used one, you'll have less problems in the end. The output shaft is not supposed to move rearward, so who knows what else is now wrong with that transmission.

It if is a 5-speed it is worth a careful inspection. Make sure that's the only problem with it.

No, it just moves side to side, up down, like that. It doesn't move in and out. Still shifts good and still has less that 20K original miles. A machinist friend said it is a bushing, I just want to see if I can do it. It's a 4 speed. I have a bad 5 speed in storage and I'm gonna get another 4 speed from Anglia Later on. Can't afford the rebuild and Anglias is a ways away.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transFS5W71B5thandrev001.jpg[/img]"]transFS5W71B5thandrev001.jpg

On the very far right you can just see the rear mainshaft bearing.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/720trans001Large.jpg[/img]"]720trans001Large.jpg

On some the speedo drive gear has to come off first before the bearing can be pressed off. You may be able to just barely get the rear case off with the tranny in the car, but pressing a bearing off and then pressing a new one on is unlikely.

I can't see this as the vibration cause. If it moves that much the rear tranny seal would be destroyed and leaking. Is this a one piece drive shaft?

Edited by datzenmike

Datsun 210 (B310) 4-speed is either a F4W56 (for A12A engine) or F4W60 (for A14 or A15 engine).

Moving up/down a little is not a problem.

Most common vibration problem in these cars is wheel balance. With the small 155-width 13" tires, the balance needs to be down to the 1/4 oz. Shops sometimes get this wrong. To troubleshoot the vibration, swap front and rear tires. If the vibration lessens, that's probably it.

I'll check my wheels, make sure I didn't mess them up. I could get the vibration to instantly stop with letting off the gas at certain RPMs, or get it to not vibrate by really slow acceleration. I have beat this car, I do drive it like a raped ape. This is the A14 and 4 speed from a 77 B210, but it's in my 59 L210.

Oh yeah, the seal is bad, and I don't have the speed cable hooked up. I had it adapted to an MG guage and haven't put them in yep. FYI, she's got a Ford Courier rear end, this was installed in the late 80s, and I had the wheels custom made in 2000.

I don't have time to tear it apart so I guess I'll put it back together and deal with it later. I'll sure miss driving here regular like.

Yeah, and it only stops when I do it at mid RPMs, not slow or fast. Also if I hit the right bump while at mid RPMs. Freaky man. And it's not a mild vibration, the stick stick shakes so much the skull shift knob bounces off (not on tight).

OK, I was able to get under the car finally. Guess what, after these discussions and talking to others, I feel the shaft is normal. Then I found the exhuast to be loose, the weld broke in front of the glass pack and it is now on a cross member, and was rubbing the shaft. (sounds dirty)

Next problem, the bell thing that goes on the end of the tranny and covers the front of the driveshaft is always falling off. Is this part the same on all trannies or a specific size for A series trannies?