New 620 "Patch"

510er

here are the pics

DSCF3234.JPG

Okay so the pulley on the right is the original from the saturn alt. I got the other pulley from napa, they had a box of random pulleys and spacers and such. they let me rummage through it and take what i wanted.

DSCF3235.JPG

Saturn plug.

I hooked the L to the black and white wire and the F to the yellow one. at first And the white and red wire goes to the positive, at first i only had these three but after some digging in the PO hacked harness i found the ground that i needed. DSCF3238.JPG

I spliced the voltage regulator same as everyone else with the yellow to the white and the W/b with W/r

DSCF3239.JPG

I used a turnbuckle for adjustment, i had to shorted the threads of one eye by about a 1/4 inch. I have about a 3/8 of an inch more adjustment in before i hit the lower rad hose. Also about a 1/2 inch adjustment out before i hit the idler arm.

I didnt have to drill out the eye on alt, but i spent a serious while grinding the bracket just like everyone else.

The belt i used is the listed stock belt for a L20B from motion auto supply.

I got the alternator from napa its the top P/nDSCF3232.JPG it was only like 50 bucks after i gave them my Hitachi disguised as a saturn alt haha

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I made new exhaust brackets because the exhaust was just haning on by a thread and some wire. its pretty solid now. I need to get a new gasket for the manifold to collector it leaks pretty nasty. I adjusted the brakes today WOW what a pain in the ass but it helped alot. I put on the new beauty rings on the wheels they look awesome! did a complete check of the running gear to make sure there was grease and oil everywhere it was supposed to be and what not. I also put on my new straight front bumper and that really cleaned up the front end. The only thing left that i need to fix mechanically is the speedometer, the odometer works but the speedo only goes up it doesnt come back down, it doesnt go up all the time either it get stuck. so it spent most of today around 110 then dropped back to 60. and mind you this truck hasnt been over 65 i think...

My 76 firebird had the T/A dash with the same "fish scale" detail. I loved it. I dig the old GTO's too. Looking good too btw.

I remember how-to's on doing that in Rod & Custom and Hot Rod. IIRC, you chuck a pencil eraser side down into a drill press. Definitely old school.

AMC & Datsun. Burabuda will be wanting that fer sure. :D

Edited by ppeters914

Well i made new kick panels the other day here are some finished pictures. I used after-market upholstery board for the backing, its "water resistant" and then i wrapped them with vinyl. I spaced the speaker out so that they would fit flat.

the one on the left is what i used for a pattern, next time i will change the shape a bit.

DSCF3316.JPG

DSCF3317.JPG

DSCF3315.JPG

i also need to get some black headed screws, but i used what i had at the time

if anyone wants any Ill make more until i run out of materials, if lots of people want some then ill just get more material haha

Edited by 510er
damn pictures
No, I was referring to the registration holder with the dealer's name.

DSCF3196.JPG

Notice it says AMC and Datsun.

HAHA if that registration holder could talk!!!! i got that from a guy on the 510realm that was in michigan or Minnesota I dunno some where cold as balls and starts with a M.... But yea he sent it to me for nothing because im in Washington pretty sweet dal if you ask me and its BAD ASS!:D

pencil eraser in drill press? ill have to try that, i used a soft pad grinder and just lightly hit it but ill try the pencil eraser

and burbuda already hit me up on the F10 if that what you are referring to

Actually an "ink eraser" needs less pressure and makes nicer looking swirls. Your dash will look like the innards of an antique watch or the bolt of a Weatherby rifle. Must be the pumice they add to the rubber. You can buy ink erasers in full pencil length at stationary stores. One should last a very long time.

• 1 month later...
do you remember what the 64 Gto's looked like, they had a swirl design which looked very cool, only year pontiac did that. I'll see if I can find a pic of it or maybe I got one laying around to give you a good idea what they looked like. the blinker arrows look very cool, nice touch...

It wasn't the only year Poncho did that. The First-Gen Firebirds had the turned aluminum trim as well. Chrysler was actually seriously considering copying Pontiac's idea in their attempt to capture the Firebird/Camaro market when they were planning the E-body Barracuda and Challenger...

Later

KFD

• 4 weeks later...
Okay so what kind of asshat puts a stereo in a truck before verifying that the charging system works... Yup you guessed THIS GUY :fu:

okay so short version is that when i drove the truck home the dash lights were bright the headlights "worked" and after i put the stereo in it everything was alot dimmer, i just figured it was because the alt couldnt keep up. Well i was wrong the lights got so dim that i just shut them off to save power, and yes i pulled the fuze for the stero as soon as i noticed everything getting really dim. I stuck my arm out the window with a bright as hell LED flash light to try to drive home. well the batt croaked and left me hangin about 5 mins from my house.

My wife came to the rescue and jumped me :eek::lol::lol::lol: well you know and i drove it the rest of the way home with the lights off. The Battery cables did leave something to be desired and i knew they needed replacing but it was a " ill do it tomorrow kind of thing" Well the 8 gauge + cable was hanging on by barely a thread and fell apart when i touched it. The 6 gauge negative was about the same way. So I replaced the cables and the battery and fired it up... well no charge, and its dark im running on little sleep and have a wicked math test in the AM.

Any help will be appreciated. Can you test to see if the voltage regulator is working? It may be a wiring problem, i dont want to jump the gun and assume its a bad alternater unless i have to. i do have a spare, somewhere... Also if the alt is bad should I go with the saturn alt or the 79 and up 510 swap? which is more bang for the buck as far as long term

AHAHH "asshat", so i hear alot of people swapping in saturn alternators, is it easy enough for a Z2.0 engine..?