'85 nissian engine?

77DAT

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Z24 motor sits almost vertically, the L series is 12 degrees tilted to the right. So the answer is not really a bolt in, no. If you get the '85 tranny and motor mounts, it will it will bolt in.

I don't know if your '77 has the 5spd, but likely the '85 will, and is newer and has up-graded front bearings and shifter. Be sure to measure the length of the '85 tranny... you want it to be about 31.5" long to fit your '77.

This isn't a California '85 is it??? That would have the electronic feed back carb and would be a problem.

Yup. I have an '84 Federal feedback carb sitting in my garage. Being that I was there to yard it out (after test driving it, the truck was being converted to diesel) I could see it wasn't Cali. At some point the engine is supposed to go into my '83 (which ate a valve) but I have lots of manifold swapping to do.

If the feedback solenoid fails, the carb defaults to a rich condition. Black tailpipe smoke and bad mileage.

Doug as far as I can tell the '84 California Z24 used the DFP-384 feedback carb for stricter emissions control. It used an ECU controller and O2 sensor and had a six wire plug on it. When you say federal you mean state and government vehicles?

'84 720 Non California and Canada used the DCR-384 carb with a two wire plug for idle cut and electric choke on it.

Possibly all this changed in '85 or '86 and ECC carbs were required in all states.

Well, I never said Canadian ones had feedback carbs... my manuals don't cover Canadia after '81 or so. But, my '83 manual doesn't even have Z24s in it (just Z22) and I have a bone-stock '83 with a Z24 (built Feb '83). I don't think I have an '84 manual, and the only '84 trucks I saw had the feedback carb. Maybe they were all "late" '84s built in calendar year '84. Of course, what manuals I have don't even mention Fuel Injection in trucks until the 86 1/2 D21, and I have folks everywhere claiming to have seen EFI 720s that were "stock" complete with EFI logos on the side. I've never seen one; the only EFI 720 I've ever seen had a swapped-in KA24E.

Well I have the FSM for the '84 and it shows the California truck with and federal and Canada without. Even the electrical only shows the O2 sensor wire as California only.

My 720 friend said mid '84 change which would be the '85 model year. This is exactly what happened in '86.5 when the new Z241 came out for the D-21. There was a switchover of a few weeks where the remaining 720s got the TBI. No books list it. FSM don't cover it BUT there is an extremely rare 720 Z24i supplement that does cover the maintainance. Considered the 'Holey Grail' of 720 books lol. I've seen a picture of the booklet. I know several 720 guys with the Z24i engines and they aren't swaps. They have the harness with the ECU under the seat and are a factory anomaly. Completely possible to have an '84 Federal with feedback carb... I noted this down if anyone asks. Thanks.

The Hitachi on the Z24 gives good to great mileage but performance... forget it! The primary even seems smaller than what you would expect on a larger displacement motor like the Z24. Some have various mixture heaters and deflectors built into the mounting gasket.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/carb720mountinggaskets.jpg[/img]"]carb720mountinggaskets.jpg

720 owners rave about the 32/36 Weber and the power increase it gives. Make sure it has an electric choke and idle cut so that it can use the fuel shut off system.

Edited by datzenmike