Proxies tires.

Guest jaimesix

Guest jaimesix

Hi.

How much mileage these tires offer for a street driven car? I know these are competition tires, but given the bad size choices these days ( todays' tires manufactrurers think everybody is into ding dong 20 in chromed wheels :mad: ) I was thinking about those Proxies.

Just curious to hear from someone with experience driving in street with these tires. I think those look good, but unfortunately I also think those tires will last close to nothing.

Jaime._____________________________________________________________

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been trying to decide on a set of low profile 15" but cannot decide. price of course is a factor with me. are the proxys your considering 15"? i have to many tires for my 17 and 18 inch wheels, they seem to be abundent. but 15" i have no luck. of course i buy from craigslist mostly, i don't think i have ever bought new tires, so i am kinda out of my league here.

Isn't there a rating on treadwear for most all tires?

There are currently 11 different types of Proxies. Which ones do you have in mind?

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires.asp?category=comp

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires.asp?category=sport

I have Toyo Proxies TPT's on my S30Z. They aren't that bad, but I think I paid too much for them from ''Lester (Schwab) though.

Falken Azenis and Kumho also makes some good sticky tires that are "inexpensive" too.

Later, -hughdogz

Check this out...there is a 45 day / 500 mile "what-da-ya-think" on Toyos.

"Buy a set of eligible Toyo tires and try them on your car for up to 500 miles. If you're not completely satisfied with the performance of the tires, just return them to the dealer where you purchased them for a refund or replacement. The choice to refund or replacement is yours. Visit your Toyo dealer for complete details."

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tirebasics/500mileoffer.asp

Are they serious?? I'm sure it is minus R&R...I wonder what makes the tires "eligible" for the program? are they going to mount your old shoes back on? Hmmm...:blink:

i have proxies4's on my wifes passat. they WERE on my jetta. i love em! i had em when i got my jetta 3 years ago and the only reason i replaced em is they were worn out but even then stuck like no tomorrow. i went with a cheap tire and regretted it. now i am back with the proxies and i am loving it.

Guest jaimesix

{Gzilla} I have Advan 165/55R12 directional tires. The supposed to only last 15000 miles, however other guys with them say they last a long, long time on a lightweight Datsun 1200. I have mine for a whole year, don't see any wear yet.

Dunno about Tyo Proxes tires.

That sounds good Gzilla. I am thinking about Proxies, or any other performance tires, for the sole reason that in 14 inch wheel sizes ( which my 610 has, and I do not like large diametre wheels in this Datsun 610 )... there are no street tires in low profile configurations.

The last performance tires I bought in 14 inch size were 205/55/14 Yokohama AVS Intermediate. There is nothing on the US market any more for 13 and 14 inch tires.

It is either competition tires like Proxies ( Kuhmo and other options available ) or else stretch some 185/60s on a 8 inch wheel. The problem is that with todays street tires, if you want a wide 14 inch tire, you got to go with tall aspect ratios, which balloons the tires and ends up being too big.

205 is fine width, but together with a 60 aspect ratio, it is way tall. I think I will try some competition tires, provided these tires will last some time.

15,000 miles , at a rate of 500 miles per month, would be tantamount to 30 months of driving. That is 2.5 years. Even more with less driving. What do you think guys?:)

{CharlieBucket}

i have been trying to decide on a set of low profile 15" but cannot decide. price of course is a factor with me. are the proxys your considering 15"? i have to many tires for my 17 and 18 inch wheels, they seem to be abundent. but 15" i have no luck. of course i buy from craigslist mostly, i don't think i have ever bought new tires, so i am kinda out of my league here.

On a B210, 15 in is too much , my personal opinion. My B210 had 13X8 wheels with 215/50/13 tires, which are still available in street rubber ( Sumitomo HTR ) With a 15 in wheel, you would have to go extra low on aspect ratio ( 45 at least ) and there is nothin in street rubber in 15 inches.

The 13 inch wheels and low profile tires on a B210 work excellent. The Sumitomo 215/50/13 are not expensive, about 50 bucks each. My B210 is gone, otyherwise I would has stockpiled a couple sets.

Like Gzilla says, you could use stickies, it gets even better , not only in the performance aspect, but in looks. 13X8 wheels with some 225/45/13 is just impresive. There is even a 245/45/13. That is what I will have to do when I get my B210 revenge. By that time, no Sumitomo HTRs will survive in stock.

{Gzilla}

"Best"? Best size is 155/80R13 -- because it is least expensive. You can still slam the car down with lowering techniques.

On a 1200 it would work, but the B210 has a wider body and cavernous wheel wells, I think those tires might not make it. Given HTR Sumitomos cost 50 bucks, I would try those ones.

{HughDogz}

Isn't there a rating on treadwear for most all tires?

There are currently 11 different types of Proxies. Which ones do you have in mind?

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires.asp?category=comp

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires.asp?category=sport

I have Toyo Proxies TPT's on my S30Z. They aren't that bad, but I think I paid too much for them from ''Lester (Schwab) though.

Falken Azenis and Kumho also makes some good sticky tires that are "inexpensive" too.

Later, -hughdogz

Interesting.....Let me check that out. I saw a friends car with those Proxies, 14 inch , I will try to get the exact sizes. Yes, Kuhmo, Yokohama,and others have tires that are similar. I am studying the posibility of getting competition tires, not exactly Proxies, but competition tires ( because of the size availability problem.)

Thanks.

{HughDogz}

Check this out...there is a 45 day / 500 mile "what-da-ya-think" on Toyos.

"Buy a set of eligible Toyo tires and try them on your car for up to 500 miles. If you're not completely satisfied with the performance of the tires, just return them to the dealer where you purchased them for a refund or replacement. The choice to refund or replacement is yours. Visit your Toyo dealer for complete details."

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tirebasics/500mileoffer.asp

Are they serious?? I'm sure it is minus R&R...I wonder what makes the tires "eligible" for the program? are they going to mount your old shoes back on? Hmmm...

Sounds good. If the tires are wearing out badly within the 1st 500 miles, I could return them:)

{moparvwfreak }

i have proxies4's on my wifes passat. they WERE on my jetta. i love em! i had em when i got my jetta 3 years ago and the only reason i replaced em is they were worn out but even then stuck like no tomorrow. i went with a cheap tire and regretted it. now i am back with the proxies and i am loving it.

Are you talking about a street driven Jetta?? How long did those last?

Jaime._______________________________________________________

that is why i was asking because the i need really skinny tires for my 15". i love the look of the snowflakes on my car so i will have to make them work. i am running some 195/55 i think now and its fine. there is just no room for lowering. so basically i need to find the skiniest 15 out there.

Guest jaimesix
that is why i was asking because the i need really skinny tires for my 15". i love the look of the snowflakes on my car so i will have to make them work. i am running some 195/55 i think now and its fine. there is just no room for lowering. so basically i need to find the skiniest 15 out there.

Hi.

I saw 15 in tires on a 510, I think the tires were 195/45/15. The B210 has deep wheel wells, that allows for wide wheels , but it has a small height wise wheel well. Using 15s or more diametre wheels will limit your lowering ability. It will also create problems with caster, because the front wheels / tires might end up touching the wheel wells upon turning your tires on either side.

I guess you can try 45's if available. 195/45/15 tires on 15X7 in wheels. The only kind of tire you will get is the competition tire. I do not think there are any 45 aspect ratio 15 inch tires on american markets.

45 aspect ratio might end up being a little rough on quality ride. But all of this is speculation, go on and try it. Send some pictures, you know I am a fan of Datsun B210s.:)

Jaime._______________________________________________________

Guest jaimesix

10-12K and still fine, that is good.

About the 15 in tires....yes, I would try 15X7s and 15X8s with 45 aspect ratios if that is the wheel size to use.

Jaime._____________________________________________________