Lubricating Blower Motor

iflyfisher

My blower motor has a loud squeal. I pulled the cap off the base end of the armature and put some bearing grease on the end of the shaft. The squealing stopped for a day or two then came back. Lubed it again and got the same results. Is there a proper way to lube the armature base and cap? Wondering if I should be using a light oil instead of grease. The end of the armature isn't supported by a bearing but rather a bushing. That bushing looks to have felt surrounding it. Maybe the idea is to saturate that felt and pocket with a light oil.  Not sure. Given the blower works great otherwise, I hate to toss it and shop for another. 

Thanks,

Ken

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Thomas Perkins, I believe I will take you up on the blower motor. I soaked the felt in the backing plate with light oil and put it back on. I fired up the fan and ran it at high speed. Within about 5 mins it was howling again. I tried loosening and tightening each of the two screws in the backing plate, and I found a spot where the motor didn't scream as much, but I don't trust it. Maybe the bushing is too worn. I dunno. I believe all I need is the blower motor. The speeds all work fine, so I am guessing the resister is okay. 

You can have it.Just pay shipping.I will clean it up and paint it.Give me your address,I will wrap it up and take to post office and find out the shipping charge.I am in Georgia.I will first take pictures and post it.It was on my truck.I thought I needed a new one but the resistor was bad.

Edited by Thomas Perkins