RPM gauge not working

Joecar

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it was working before unplugging/plugging and now it's not working then obviously the act of unplugging/plugging caused this.

What you are not saying is why were you unplugging the dash gauges and was the tach working before or not.

Was unplugging/plugging to try and get it working?

Were the dash gauges removed or disturbed at all?

18 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

If it was working before unplugging/plugging and now it's not working then obviously the act of unplugging/plugging caused this.

What you are not saying is why were you unplugging the dash gauges and was the tach working before or not.

Was unplugging/plugging to try and get it working?

Were the dash gauges removed or disturbed at all?

I unplugged the dash cause I removed it to get all the oil removed from the speedo cable. Dash was also removed but I installed everything back in and everything was plugged back into the cluster as it was before. Also a few other things like my carb were changed but not sure it that would be connected to there or not

First check the 4th fuse over from the left in the fuse block. This powers the the tach and is the Yellow/Red stripe wire on the BLUE 10 pin connector under the dash and the Yellow/Red wire on the three pin connector into the tach. The Black wire is ground and the Black/Blue is the tach signal from the coil that passes through the WHITE 10 pin connector.

Well that narrows it to a faulty connection. See if one of the pins was pushed out.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Try resetting your tac by moving the dial.It maybe out of calibration.I took my dash out and the tac moved.It got out of calibration.Push the dial to the right and let it spring back to zero.Keep doing it till it resets back to zero.

Where it’s sitting as of now

IMG_4580.jpeg

What mine looked like when I took the speedometer out.Always tape the dial so it won't move when removing the speedometer.You can also adjust it after you get it recalibrated.I did on mine,cause it was a little higher than before.I also made some of my connections to the speedometer longer.The clock wiring was too short and the tac wiring.I put a speedometer in that had a clock,so I had to drill a hole in the lens for the stem that you adjust the time on the clock.I also replaced some of the little lights.I took the speedometer out a million times.It's not a tight fit no more since I made the wiring longer.The cable did leak oil long ago.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

What mine looked like when I took the speedometer out.Always tape the dial so it won't move when removing the speedometer.You can also adjust it after you get it recalibrated.I did on mine,cause it was a little higher than before.I also made some of my connections to the speedometer longer.The clock wiring was too short and the tac wiring.I put a speedometer in that had a clock,so I had to drill a hole in the lens for the stem that you adjust the time on the clock.I also replaced some of the little lights.I took the speedometer out a million times.It's not a tight fit no more since I made the wiring longer.The cable did leak oil long ago.

Ok that was also another thing my clock isn’t moving either and fuse is good and wiring is connected so I’ll mess around with it

13 hours ago, datzenmike said:

4th fuse over from the left is blown. That should fix everything.

I checked them before I left and they seem to be good but might have changed so I’ll pop it out and check once again 

So your tachometer is not moving.Did your tachometer dial move when you took the speedomter out?like I said in my other post.The tac is out of calibration.Fuse is not the problem.What happened.Is when you took the speedometer out.Your tac dial moved.It is the only dial that moves.Temp. gauge doesn't not.The fuel gauge does not.Always tape the tac dial if you remove the speedometer.Not long ago,I took mine out cause of the temperature gauge,and I put the speedomter back in.Started it up and the tachometer was messed up.I took back out and turned the dial by finger to the right all the way,then turned back to zero.Started up and it was right.Try this.It was not at zero when I put it back in and started it.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
5 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

So your tachometer is not moving.Did your tachometer dial move when you took the speedomter out?like I said in my other post.The tac is out of calibration.Fuse is not the problem.What happened.Is when you took the speedometer out.Your tac dial moved.It is the only dial that moves.Temp. gauge doesn't not.The fuel gauge does not.Always tape the tac dial if you remove the speedometer.Not long ago,I took mine out cause of the temperature gauge,and I put the speedomter back in.Started it up and the tachometer was messed up.I took back out and turned the dial by finger to the right all the way,then turned back to zero.Started up and it was right.Try this.It was not at zero when I put it back in and started it.

Not sure but I was moving it around back and forth test fitting it and turned it a few times. Only things that don’t work are clock but it wasn’t working before and the rpm gauge 

I just got my old speedometer out.I reset it to see if that works.I push the dial past the 8 and let go,it went to 2.Then I pushed dial to 0.Then I push dial and let go and it spring back to 0.What I did when it messed up when I took my speedometer out.I guess this is not your problem.On your clock you have green fitting.I put another speedomter in mine that has a clock.Mine didn't come with a clock.All the wiring is real short.So I cut the rpm wire and clock wire added wire to it to make it longer so it will be easier to move the speedometer around when I need to take out and put in.I made other wires longer too.Your clock wire connector may not be making a good connection.Make the wiring longer.The clock keeps accurate time.See if you have power coming from the green clock wiring .Also check and see if the fuse is tight.One my second fuse.I use a 30 amp fuse and have to bend the tabs in opposite directions for it to be a tight fit.My 20 amp fuse use to pop out when I would cut the a.c fan on.That is not used any more.I had it rewired.

20240901_162755.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

Sorry for the blurry pic.Just took from my camera to my computer.I see your dial is below the zero.A bad fuse will not do that.With engine off.Turn dial with finger past 8 going clock wise.,don't force it,it should turn very easy.Release dial and it will spring back.then gently push dial to 0.Then gently push dial clock wise,and it will go back to zero.When you first push close wise,stop when you feel resistance,then released,it will go to 2 or near there.Then gently push to zero.Then gently push to 5,dont force or it will mess up and you fill have to do it again.it now should spring back to zero and your good to go.

100_0945.jpg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Sorry for the blurry pic.Just took from my camera to my computer.I see your dial is below the zero.A bad fuse will not do that.With engine off.Turn dial with finger past 8 going clock wise.,don't force it,it should turn very easy.Release dial and it will spring back.then gently push dial to 0.Then gently push dial clock wise,and it will go back to zero.When you first push close wise,stop when you feel resistance,then released,it will go to 2 or near there.Then gently push to zero.Then gently push to 5,dont force or it will mess up and you fill have to do it again.it now should spring back to zero and your good to go.

100_0945.jpg

Awesome thank you, I’ll definitely will try once my truck arrives. Currently in Las Vegas now and still 1,710 miles away from me 

image000000.jpeg

On 9/1/2024 at 8:17 PM, Thomas Perkins said:

Here is a picture like what your tachometer looks like.I have 2 of these Speedometers and all the gauges work.Just has dust on it from being in my shed.Hard to find just the gauges for these.

100_0948.jpg

So I’ve tried pushing the tach to 8 and release to 0 and it’s in the normal position but still not working. Checked 4th fuse over and it’s fine. Any idea why?

When you push dial,make you  you push slowly and it has no resistance.If it does,keeping doing till it doesn't.Then set it at 0.Then gently push and let go and see if it springs back to zero.Also,check to make sure your electrical connector is secure in back of speedometer.I made mine longer.

• Like 1