No dash lights 1975 710 Wagon

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are the tail lights and front marker lights also out? If yes then it's not in the dash.

Do the head lights work? If yes then the fusible link is ok that powers all the lighting.

Best tool a Datsun owner can have is a test lamp. They are under $5 and because electricity is invisible the lamp will show you a visual check that power is or isn't there. Clip to anything grounded and touch the probe to find power.

Untitled.webp.091f61be42d03eade29682b4904c4ec7.webp

Check both side of the fuse for the dash lights and also the clips that hold the fuse. Start there. Also try pulling the headlight switch out to the first position that turns the dash, parking, side marker and license lights on. Do this a few dozen times vigorously to clean the switch contacts. It might work. 

When I first bought and was testing the headlights did work but now they don’t. I’ve test both sides of fuses and they show power with the probe light tester. The dash lights work for a brief moment then completely went away.

On 7/20/2024 at 7:55 PM, Kevin_G said:

When I first bought and was testing the headlights did work but now they don’t.

does the headlamps have power at any of the sockets(all 3) when using a test lite to ground?  if yes then the lamps are not getting a ground. to turn ON

If the lamps are not getting the 12volts and any on the sockets then NO power to the lamp sockets ck the fuse and power going to or out of the fuse box is thee START

On 7/20/2024 at 7:55 PM, Kevin_G said:

When I first bought and was testing the headlights did work but now they don’t. I’ve test both sides of fuses and they show power with the probe light tester. The dash lights work for a brief moment then completely went away.

IF you are positive there is power at the fuses, (did you test the clips that hole the fuses?????) then the dedicated fusible link for the lighting is alright. If headlights and dash/marker/parking lamps not working then the problem has to be in the headlight switch. Try unplugging and plugging in back in first.

AGAIN: try working the headlight switch on and off a couple of dozen times to clean any corrosion off the contacts. This might work. Otherwise pull the headlight switch. If possible replace it. If not you can carefully prize it apart and clean or flush it out with electrical contact cleaner. The switch can be put back together at least once this way. More than once the tangs may snap off. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2024 at 6:53 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

does the headlamps have power at any of the sockets(all 3) when using a test lite to ground?  if yes then the lamps are not getting a ground. to turn ON

If the lamps are not getting the 12volts and any on the sockets then NO power to the lamp sockets ck the fuse and power going to or out of the fuse box is thee START

Okay I will try this and do you happen to know where the ground for the headlights

There is no ground as such. Power is supplied to ALL headlamps when the headlight switch is turned on. HI and LOW lamps are selected by the turn signal witch which either turns the headlight relay on or off. The relay has two choices and grounds either the HI or LOW beams completing the circuit and turning them on.

The relay is powered by the parking lights which includes the dash lights. If no parking lights, the relay remains in it's off position and that is the HI beams. If no parking lights.... no LOW beams.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I got all the front headlights to work thank you guys for the help. It ended up being wires full of corrosion.

But I still have to figure out why the dash lights dont turn on. But I pull the switch into first position and I look under the dash and see dim light what could the cause be?

On 7/20/2024 at 7:42 PM, datzenmike said:

Are the tail lights and front marker lights also out? If yes then it's not in the dash.

Don't remember a reply to this. All side marker, front and rear 'parking' lights, license and dash lights are on together on the two switch positions of the headlight switch and on the same fuse. Are the tail lights working???

27 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Don't remember a reply to this. All side marker, front and rear 'parking' lights, license and dash lights are on together on the two switch positions of the headlight switch and on the same fuse. Are the tail lights working???

Yes the headlight work side markers have power no bulb tho and back side markers work tail lights are on and brake lights work too just no turn signal flash or hazards

30 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

On my 521 I when I had no dash lights I think I dint have brake lights.

It was a fuse. Like the horn circut. Belive it or not or soemthing like that but check the fuses and then clean contacts and reseat connectors.

unless its actually the bulbs in the dash

Okay will do. And it’s confusing because it seems like they turn on but are very dim. And I have no turn signals either I move the lever up and down and does nothing 

I dont think dash light and turn signals would be same circut.

since the emaergancy and turn signals dont work. If you have a diagram looks whats in common.

Emergency light you pull the switch and sends power or POWER looks for a ground.

one can swap the Turn signal or Emerg blinker cans but I have a feeling this isnt it. Imn my 510 the turn signal would light and stop. then I wacked the Can and was fine

3 hours ago, Kevin_G said:

Okay will do. And it’s confusing because it seems like they turn on but are very dim. And I have no turn signals either I move the lever up and down and does nothing 

Turn the dash light dimmer switch up, closkwise. The dimmer switch should be below the wiper switch or close by.

• 3 weeks later...

Does the 710 have a dash light dimmer switch??  It would likely be a "rotary switch", that you rotate, not flick on or off.  The earlier 510 does NOT.  The later Datsun cars do...............the 710 to me is an "interim" car, when Datsun started adding more "gadgets".  If it DOES have a dimmer switch for the dash lights, BYPASS it!!  I know that the later Datsuns do have a dash dimmer switch & most MG's & Triumph's did from 1968-on.  When the dash dimmer MG switches went NLA, I told people to BYPASS the switch.  Who DIMS dash lights on classic cars today??  NOBODY!!  Bypass the switch & dash lights will simply be on "bright"................