521 "Sun Bolt" replacement options

Long story short, one of my lower control arm bolts refused to come out nicely no mater what I tried. I might be able to save one of them. That being said, what are my options for replacement? I can't seem to find any off the shelf. Maybe ask a machine shop if I manage to save one?

There's a d21 at a nearby junk yard.

I've also seen a video where someone uses toyota control arms and they install some energy suspension bushings and spacers. The difference is, they use coilovers and I still plan to use the torsion bar(unless I have no choice).

If I go this route, will the torsion bar anchors be good with just the 2 bolts it has?

I feel this is the easiest solution. 

A little anti-seize would have prevented this post🤣

https://imgur.com/a/dv5tRKv

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a lower link spindle. You tried heating red hot and drive it out? Doubt there is a machine shop replacement as it's splined into the torque arm and the torsion bar fits into the other side.

The 620 720 and D21 Hardbody have them but all different part numbers. Might be the same just definitely not the same.

The 620 uses the same bushing as the 521 so that tells me the bolt lengths are damn close if not the same. A 620 might work.

It's a bit of work but the D21 might work. Just time to take it out and compare.

Mike, Yea heat didn't work and the bushing just melted, even an air hammer failed. I watched a different video and someone just tapped theirs out. Given that the d21 is "technically" newer, I hope it will come out easier. Haa

So sounds like d21 might have best chance🤔

I'll go get the d21 bolts to have and see if I can make them work some how. 

thanks

D21 is available but will take time to get it out and compare. No guarantees.

The 620 and 521 bushings are the same part numbers so likely the bolts are same length too. It's a guess.

mklotz70 thanks for that video. It kinda gives me an idea. I might just have to do some experimentation

This is a great vid to go for reference.

There was a quick mention of spline/no spline, might explore that.

• Like 1

Stroffregen bolt was seized to the bushing. I wish I could've just tapped it out, but I might be the first in decades to take the suspension apart. So it didn't come out like I should have. I had to unfortunately cut both out and will have to work out a solution.

• Like 1