1982-83 "510"

I know this ain't the classic we all know and love but I thought I'd ask a few things:

Rust-free one within hauling distance near me. Owner wants 1.5k for it. Has the unfortunate automagic transmission in it. 

It's otherwise clean and in really good shape it's a coupe model. 

Are these later years actually worth anything? I'm not looking to flip it but I would be looking to clean it up and make it a daily. I'm aware there's basically no parts available for those years, but eventually I'd like to take my spare 280Z 4 speed and put it inside it, if that is possible. Would that require any custom fabrication, other than finding a manual pedal box and the necessary clutch hardware,cutting the hole etc? 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The A10 (HL510) was only produced '78 through '81 and after '79 the Z20S engine was used so an L series 280Z 4 speed will not mount to it properly.

The good news is there are Z22 and Z24 engines in the 720 that would fit and they came with 4 and 5 speeds that would fit the Z20S engine. You would need to shorten the drive shaft and modify the transmission cross member mount.

I would drive it the way it is and collect that parts for the conversion to manual.

• Like 1

Gotcha so it's not a gigantic pain in the ass other than The usual suspects based on what you're telling me that's cool to know. I will see if I can negotiate the guy down some since I will have to drive almost 6 hours to go get it

• 2 weeks later...

Just not worth $1500 to me, unless it is really clean & runs & drives well.  At that point, it is a reliable ol' Datsun/Nissan, that could make a great A-Z driver!  People see the earlier 510's, going for big mulla these days, throw a number against the wall, to see if it sticks & somebody buys it!