Inherited a 1976 620

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spent some time on it this morning before it got too hot (100+ high temps here for over a week now).  New plugs/wires and the Weber installed, it is running but won't drop below 3k rpm.  I'm afraid to let it run at that speed for too long so haven't spent much time on it but the idle adjustment isn't doing anything either.  My nephew said he put a new fuel pump on it, is it possible it is pushing too much fuel?  After reading a bit I ordered a fuel regulator as it seems like it isn't a bad thing to have either way.  Truck is now jack stands, removed rear camper leaf springs and got the shock off of one side, they are old air shocks.  Hoping tomorrow morning I can get the back end finished up and move to the front. 

Question for you guys, what's the best way to clean the wheels?  I done some searching and only real recommendation I've seen is getting someone with a lathe or Eagle One Mag cleaner?

If the choke is on there is a fast idle till it warms up. Have you let it warm up for 6-10 minutes? them blip the throttle and it should drop down. Is the throttle cable adjusted so there is some slack and it isn't holding the throttle open?

It could run all day at 3k and no harm. Adding extra gas alone won't make it rev up.

Ok so I let it run for a little bit and rev never dropped. When I did blip the throttle the noise changed a little bit RPM did change a little. I took the air cleaner off and the butterflies are just free floating,when I hold the closed RPM do start to drop. It also smells like it is running very rich. 

Yes I swapped over the cable throttle linkage from the old one. It does seem to move freely with no issues and just a little slack that it is definitely staying off throttle. 

• Like 1

The butterflies you see on the top of the carb are the choke plates. They shouldn't be free to do their own thing, but they will flutter a bit while the engine is running.

Dumb question - did you try adjusting the idle screw on the linkage?

Maybe I missed it, what carb is it exactly? Electric choke DGV? There is a fast idle adjustment on the side behind the choke spring thingy.

image.png.d93b0276a8b9e6b9465288df84126520.png