Picked up a 1970 521

Shagy

On 8/23/2024 at 3:45 PM, yenpit said:

That Offy intake is cool! 😎 If the 510 oil pan & pick up are decent, those are worth $100-150 easy!  I will have a 620 oil pan.................if you find it will work, PM me!  Also, if you decide to go with one of the POS "shorty" headers, that truck dual head pipe also has some value!  I think the 510 stock exhaust manifold is the same as the truck, so hopefully that will line up with the truck downpipe!

looks like the collector that came with the 510 engine is different from the 521 one that was in the truck.

I got the 521 oil pan the other day from a member (on Facebook) out of California.  So now I just need the pick up tube or I need to see if I can modify the 510 one to work.  

There is a local guy in AZ selling a whole engine out of his 521, or course right after I went and bought one.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/1/2024 at 12:22 PM, Shagy said:

looks like the collector that came with the 510 engine is different from the 521 one that was in the truck.

I got the 521 oil pan the other day from a member (on Facebook) out of California.  So now I just need the pick up tube or I need to see if I can modify the 510 one to work.  

There is a local guy in AZ selling a whole engine out of his 521, or course right after I went and bought one.

Correct.................the flange to the cast iron manifold is the same, but the downpipes are shaped completely different 510 vs trucks.

Any good fabricator that tig welds, can modify an oil pickup tube to suit just about any oil pan sump.  All of the 4cyl L series have the pick up tube port in the block, in the same spot.  The Z car 6cyl L series has the port in a different spot.  The mounting flange & gasket are also different, 4cyl vs 6cyl.