Wiring the dome light.

Ok, this is going to be a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway. I'm finally starting to put the entire wiring harness back in my 69 510 2 DR. I gutted the car 20 years ago and was hoping to get back to it sooner, but can't remember exactly how I removed the dome light wiring so now I'm at the part where the dome light snakes up through the pillar between the door and the rear glass. Question is, Where is the starting point to get it into the pillar at or near the bottom? 

Thanks

Kevin

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have LHD and RHD diagrams and both show the interior light on the right side B pillar. I had a 'Canadian '68 and seem to remember it being over the left shoulder on the driver's side, but perhaps later 510s had them on the roof?

Either way the wiring descends to the floor and travels into the center of the car to the tunnel and joins the harness from the front to the rear lights and gas tank sender. From the switch there should be a Brown/Red wire to left and right door switches to ground to turn the lamp on and a Red/Blue to the lamp from the battery with power at all times. 

I did this a couple years ago, and I recall it this way in the 2 door:  Wires down the B pillar and out, not at the bottom, but through the large hole that the rear quarter interior trim by the rear seat covers.  Then down to the floor,  forward along the inner rocker, turn right at the rear of the front seat support rail and joins the floor harness to the rear at the tunnel. 

Of course in reality the path is the reverse of that, branching off the floor harness and terminating at the dome lamp.