225mm clutch in a FS5E63A bellhousing??

Does anyone know the largest clutch that will fit in the bellhousing of a FS5E63A with no clearance issues? You can save me a bunch of time and effort. 

I'm doing an L20B swap for a guy with the 200SX dogleg. I've never even seen one of these transmissions in person before as they are beyond rare around here. 

He gave me the L20B without a flywheel or clutch and before I start digging through my 6-bolt flywheel stash I need to know if a 225mm or 240mm clutch will fit. 

I don't think I have any 6-bolt 200mm flywheels lying around. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mike.

Now to decide which flywheel to use. KA24E, Z24 or Z22E. I think that's the ones I have. I may have a L28ET lying around somewhere.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The 225mm flywheel/pressure pale will fit the FS5W63A. Most likely the 240mm one will also.

I think all of these flywheels have the same OD.............thus the same starter, yes?  So overall diameter should not be a problem.

The disc size of 200mm, 225mm & 240mm is on the face of the flywheel.  But I suppose the largest 240mm PRESSURE PLATE could cause a potential issue, cuz it will likely be "beefier", but the 240mm WILL fit in all of the 280Z/280ZX bellhousings.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, datsuntech said:

Thanks Mike.

Now to decide which flywheel to use. KA24E, Z24 or Z22E. I think that's the ones I have. I may have a L28ET lying around somewhere.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

All L, Z and KA series 4 and 6 cylinder flywheels are physically the same size, with the exception of 5 bolt mounting for the L16/18 and 6 bolt for anything larger displacement.

L16/18 5 bolt flywheels were 200mm only pressure plate (PP) with the exception of the '74 620 L18 which used a 5 bolt 225mm PP.

All engines 2 liter and above were 200, 225 and 240mm PP.

The 6 bolt mount flywheels came in two different weights of approximately 29 and 21 pounds. Six bolt came in both weights with the lighter 21 pound used on 6 cylinder cars which were larger displacement and had heavier weight rotating internals. I have  21 and 29 pound 240mm flywheels. No idea what I took them off of. Probably from Z24 which were all exclusive for heavy truck engines. The 240mm PP is heavy so added to the 21 pound wheel it would be up there.  

The 240mm PP is a larger diameter and it has to fit the inside of the bell housing. Pretty sure the 240mm has problems with the early monkey motion 510 4 speed that was used through the '70s. It will fit the 71B and 71C for sure.

The Z22 and the L24 and L26 Z car used the same 225mm flywheel.

All SD22/25 diesels used a 225mm flywheel.

The Z20 in the A10 and S110 200sx car were 200mm but in the 720 truck was 240mm.

• Like 2

All good information. I was unaware that the SD25 had a 225mm flywheel. Am I safe in assuming the same 6-bolt crank pattern? I have an SD25 from a D21. It never occurred to me to look at the diesel. For some reason I just assumed it was different like the bellhousing bolt pattern. 

I am reasonably confident that the 240mm pressure plate will rub the inside of the small bellhousing on this FS5E63A.

I guess my concise question is will the 225mm pressure plate rub?

I suspect the SD flywheels are the same as the L and Z, not positive though. I have one somewhere and see no obvious differences. They are 6 bolt mount and use the same 71B 5 speeds as the gas engine so the starter ring is in the same location (just the starter on the left side) so why design a totally different wheel??? They were all 225mm and about 400Kg.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I suspect the SD flywheels are the same as the L and Z, not positive though. I have one somewhere and see no obvious differences. They are 6 bolt mount and use the same 71B 5 speeds as the gas engine so the starter ring is in the same location (just the starter on the left side) so why design a totally different wheel??? They were all 225mm and about 400Kg.

I guess I'm going to find out because I seem to only have Z24 and KA flywheels. My stuff is stored in three different spots. Two of which are around 100kms away in different directions. It looks like I have a few hundred Kms to travel in the next few days. 

18 hours ago, yenpit said:

I think all of these flywheels have the same OD.............thus the same starter, yes?  So overall diameter should not be a problem.

The disc size of 200mm, 225mm & 240mm is on the face of the flywheel.  But I suppose the largest 240mm PRESSURE PLATE could cause a potential issue, cuz it will likely be "beefier", but the 240mm WILL fit in all of the 280Z/280ZX bellhousings.

That was my concern. That the 240mm or even possibly the 225mm clutch pressure plate would contact the inside of the small bellhousing. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I was aware of this.(White Bunny) I've built KA24DE and CA18DET powered Datsuns along with a host of L swaps. I have just never used this smaller transmission as I prefer to use the stronger FS5W71B or C behind them. I was hoping someone had used this trans before so I don't have put the trans on and off a bunch of times to check clearance. So much for a shortcut. I'm going to put a 225mm on and hope that it clears otherwise I'm going to have to source a flywheel.

Edited by datsuntech
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

The 240mm flywheel uses 9 bolts to hold the pressure plate on, the 225 and 200mm only 6.

The 280Z 280ZX 2+2 models had a standard 6 bolt pattern, like all the other L20B -up & L24 L26 L28 L series.  It is a good heavy duty upgrade for the coupes, but CORRECT, I do not know if the 240mm pressure plate will fit inside the earlier small bellhousing............. 

• Like 1

That early 4 speed was rather small looking and I only heard that the 240mm required some clearance grinding on the bell housing. Almost for certain a 225mm has been used many times with the 63A and I have never heard that it didn't fit.

• Like 1