Stuck Throttle Linkage?

This is in a 260z that's been parked for many years. I can't push the gas pedal to the floor, so I've been working my way back to the carburetor, checking the linkages as I go, to find the area that's stuck. As far as I can tell, there is a metal tab that is acting as a hard stop right next to the carburetor. You can see it at the end of my ball point pen in the following picture. IMG_0684.thumb.jpg.8e248dd78d480e26a7081a99ea272adc.jpg

Basically, I can only wiggle the linkages about 1/4" back and forth, before that spring loaded screw hits that metal stop. If pop off the ball joint from that linkage, I can press the gas pedal down all the way. It doesn't seem like that metal stop is supposed to move, so I don't want to force it and break something. Anybody know what's going on here?

IMG_0683.thumb.jpg.8a25642d9451de4b3c2febde2674bc31.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That piece connects the two carbs. If it won't move past that piece, then one of your carbs is frozen. Squirt the throttle shafts with some WD40 and work them back and forth until free. May as well squirt the well jet under the carbs too. They freeze up pretty easily too.

On 4/3/2024 at 7:39 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

That piece connects the two carbs. If it won't move past that piece, then one of your carbs is frozen. Squirt the throttle shafts with some WD40 and work them back and forth until free. May as well squirt the well jet under the carbs too. They freeze up pretty easily too.

Thanks for the suggestion. You are correct. Only one of the carbs was frozen, so I took that one out. I still can't get that flapper valve rod to move after partially disassembling it, squirting it with PB Blaster, beating on it with a hammer, and trying to twist it with some channel locks. May have to cut bait on this one and move on to plan B. Working on carbs is just not in my wheelhouse and I don't have the patience for it. Right now, I'm trying to decide between a dual DGV Weber set up, or just go with a TB efi set up.

IMG_0744.thumb.jpg.da6a1d15818f5c691a67ca6e5524b17b.jpg

It's called a throttle shaft and a throttle plate. I'd put the screws back in the shaft (the ones that hold the plate) so you don't screw up the plate adjustment.

Now that it's off the car, soak it or clean it in a heated ultrasonic cleaner. That will definitely get the shaft unstuck.

Beating it with a hammer and a channel locks? Hopefully you didn't bend it. They are brass and bend easily.