77 280z 2+2 replacement gas tank

Just starting a dive into getting our 77 whale back running. Plan of attack is to start at the fuel system. Well, the gas tank is REALLY rusted inside (from looking inside the level probe access hole). It's so bad there is some liquid coming through on the front side, with fluid seeping even.

So, I don't think I even want to try cleaning this thing. I can't see how it would ever not be a headache.

Aside from the $600 options I see, is there a cheaper steel or generic type that can be used to replace mine?  I've looked only briefly and the options come up as "Datsun gas tank" that I'm not sure which ones fit.

Bill

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are a lot of people looking for a good gas tank for a Z. A good clean one can be pricey.

Clean yours up if you can. The 2+2 gas tank is likely unique to the 2+2 so the other 2-seater 280Z tank may not work.

I have mixed feelings about tank sealers... I used one before and it peeled from the inside and come out like a big balloon....

With that said the shop that cleaned my tank used this stuff to seal it...

Screenshot_20240322_143055_eBay.thumb.jpg.2499c97249affd369e2680aee7b25f22.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276393534103?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=upBrrpNsTu6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=2B08jY5FRkS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I have used this on 2 other occasions with excellent results.... you need to follow the cleaning and prep for it to work well but the product is great....

Dries fairly quickly and doesn't mind a little surface rust... will also fill small holes but I'm not sure I trust that....

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have started the cleanup. I’m trying electrolysis first - cheap and will work but is slow. 
I filled the tank and sloshed to get some of the debris out. Holy cow so much big loose rust.

I taped off the fuel lines, dumped in some sodium carbonate, filled with water. About 2/3 up the tank water pours out of one area in small streams. It may be too far gone to repair. Anyway I rigged up a piece of threaded rod angled through a board that sits above the level sensor hole. I see results after the first day. I’ll run it for a few hours a day this week and see what happens. I don’t think the tank is salvageable. It had about 4 gallons of 20 year old gas in it.