Need advice on fitting SU carbs with bigger brake master cylinder

Hi!

I'm new here btw

I have 410 with J13 running on E1 carb and i'm looking to fit twin SU HS4 or HIF4 carbs from MGB with the MGB intake manifold.

Little backstory here, I fitted Nissan almera N16 disc brakes on front and back a while ago since all the master and slave brake cylinders were totally stuck and disc conversion was better idea than trying to fix the drums. So I decided to go with rwd Lada brake master cylinder and the brakes are fine.

But now I'm concerned that can I fit the SU's with the bigger brake master cylinder. This wouldn't be problem with RHD but I have LHD.

I couldn't find clear picture of 410/411 engine bay that shows how far the SU's sit from the oem brake cylinder.

Here is a pic of my engine bay and I think that the brake master cylinder might get in the way.

I found SU HS4 dimensions but couldn't find MGB intake manifold dimensions anywhere.

So does anyone know if the carbs line up over the brake cylinder?

Or even better, if anyone has the excact dimensions of the manifold so I can measure myself if they fit.

Not sure if I should have asked from MGB forum but I thought about trying here first.

I could just order the intake and carbs and modify the brake master cylinder location or intake manifold if needed, but it doesn't hurt to ask first if anyone knows better.

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 411 SSS has an R16? the SU manifold is tilted up slightly more than where the same engine is used in the Roadster. This is because of the cramped 411 engine bay. I don't know.

What master is that? Has dual circuits.

You could have the two lines bent up over top of the master to the driver's side then down and under. That would free up some room. Don't know what you're going to do about air cleaners.

I hear they are a lada trouble. We had Ladas in Canada in the '80s.

Even with a Nissan master it's going to be tight  even before the air filters are added.

• Like 1

Yep Lada master already rusting while the original Datsun master is still in good condition (externally).

I found that Wilwood has masters with length of 4.10" (104,1mm), 3.96" (100,5mm) and 3.36" (85,4mm) compared to the stock master 5,32" (134,9mm) if I'm correct. It might make good fit with Wilwood masters, maybe I need to adjust the pedal ratio with shorter master but that's not a big deal.