123 Ignition Curve

29 minutes ago, 510_dreamin said:

Unfortunately I have no idea. They’re the same model carbs (40dcoe) but that’s all I know. I was surprised to see them changed out by the shop in the first place. I asked for the ones I had to serviced and it turned into a swap out since mine allegedly needed a rebuild. 

That could be some of the reason why it feels different when driving.... 

It's definitely tougher when you question 2 items as an issue.... 

Have you done anything lately with the carburetors or are you just playing with the distributor?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a 123 on my 510 with a l20b with a weber 38. Your ignition map looks really close to mine I also do not run  the map/vac i just zeroed it out and it is not conected.  I run just regular unleaded 87 with no pinging even in the summer. maybe you got some bad gas it happens also i had a 521 with a l20b that would ping and deisel i just ran chevron 91 and it solved the problem. 

also can you confirm with a timing light that you are close to what the curve says at idle. it would really be confusing for you if it was off that might be a problem if it was set advenced say like 25 deg at idle but the curve says 15

Edited by alfa7kar
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, alfa7kar said:

also can you confirm with a timing light that you are close to what the curve says at idle. it would really be confusing for you if it was off that might be a problem if it was set advenced say like 25 deg at idle but the curve says 15

This is actually something good to verify if you haven't...

I remember having to adjust the timing slightly after following the setup instructions to get the 123 to read the same as the timing light...

8 hours ago, alfa7kar said:

I have a 123 on my 510 with a l20b with a weber 38. Your ignition map looks really close to mine I also do not run  the map/vac i just zeroed it out and it is not conected.  I run just regular unleaded 87 with no pinging even in the summer. maybe you got some bad gas it happens also i had a 521 with a l20b that would ping and deisel i just ran chevron 91 and it solved the problem. 

I don’t have anything set up for the map I should probably zero mine out as well. 

I have dieseling too most time. I just filled up with a fresh batch of chevron 91, usually all I run or shell 91. California gas though. 

timing light is a good idea. I’ll look into that. 

I might work on adjusting the carbs too and see if I can smooth them out a bit. 

thanks everyone for all the help. I feel it’s getting better and better with each suggestion you all have, what a great community! 

• Like 1