Datsun 720 4x4 Front Axle Assembly

Sergio146

Has anyone encountered this issue when they are rebuilding the front axle from the early version Datsun 720 trucks (1980 Datsun 720) and in the process of securing the axle with the snap ring, there isn't enough clearance to place the snap ring in place? Right know I am struggling to understand what I have done wrong since according to the Service manual, I followed the exploded view of the entire front axle. There is something that I added to both of the axles and some insight of the parts that I am rebuilding: both outside wheel bearings were changed from the original NSK bearing and races to a KOYO bearing and race and the Inner bearing and race are still the original factory NSK (both bearings have number LM104949). Have installed the original wheel bearing collar with stamp #7 (Thickness: 28.28mm [1.1134 inches]), Wheel bearing support has stamping on the back reading Y17.

0?ui=2&ik=a96f275f1e&attid=0.1&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=a96f275f1e&attid=0.1&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=a96f275f1e&attid=0.3&permmsgid

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The picture with the driven clutch attached is how it looks like with the axle pushed in from the back all the way in. I thought it was easy to just push it more farther because of the grease seal in the back but even that, the axle doesn't clear enough for the snap ring to fall it the slot.

• 2 weeks later...