1981 b210. can the A14 be partnered to a 5spd from a ca18det?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '81 was a B-310 commonly referred to as a 210. I'm not aware that this will work between two different series engines like the CA and the A.

Measure the length of your automatic from the engine plate between the transmission and the engine back to the driveshaft. The CA18ET 5 speed is 31.5". Not sure if the A series drive shaft spline size will fit into the 71B 5 speed anyway. Swap them together later.

If you are going to motor-swap, do the gearbox at that time.  I think the starter is on the wrong side to even try to mate a CA box to an A motor.

While you have a A-series, FS5W60 is the 5-speed for the 210.  They are valuable partly because  they can be fitted to MG MIDGET AH SPRITE cars, so expect to spend a grand for one, but otherwise they are a really good little gearbox.

You'll need a master clutch cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, clutch pedal assembly, flywheel for a A-series motor, and motor adapter plate, along with the hardline and hose for the clutch.  I think you need the transmission rear mount as well, but it's been a while.

If you can find a donor car, it's not a bad swap at all, but if you have to do it part by part, it's annoying.

I've done it in a 1980 210 and also a 1971 1200.  The 1200 is vastly harder because the body is actually different.

• 6 months later...
On 8/16/2023 at 8:31 PM, pdp8 said:

If you are going to motor-swap, do the gearbox at that time.  I think the starter is on the wrong side to even try to mate a CA box to an A motor.

While you have a A-series, FS5W60 is the 5-speed for the 210.  They are valuable partly because  they can be fitted to MG MIDGET AH SPRITE cars, so expect to spend a grand for one, but otherwise they are a really good little gearbox.

You'll need a master clutch cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, clutch pedal assembly, flywheel for a A-series motor, and motor adapter plate, along with the hardline and hose for the clutch.  I think you need the transmission rear mount as well, but it's been a while.

If you can find a donor car, it's not a bad swap at all, but if you have to do it part by part, it's annoying.

I've done it in a 1980 210 and also a 1971 1200.  The 1200 is vastly harder because the body is actually different.

i spotted a red 1976-79 210 hatch sitting in a auto yard of some sorts between tucson and benson az, praying that its a 5 speed with under 200k miles cause my rings are fried and i dont feel like searching around for every individual part to do a rebuild it, hoping i can get the drivetrain for a steal, the car itself looked pretty sun damaged but otherwise really straight but i dunno, i only really  caught a glimpse, but pray for me lol. my 210 is so clean i want to drive this thing into the ground like a grandma (also want to swap in a bigger engine as i mentioned before and put her on coils so i can slide around a bit but thats a ways in the future 🙂